Linksys SRW2048 48-port 10/100/1000 switches

electech98

[H]ard|Gawd
Has anyone ever worked with these switches?

We're wondering what to do about our company's network backbone, and we thought it might be a good idea to replace our Cisco 10/100 switches with some Gigabit switches, but we don't want to break the bank. That is when I found the Linksys 48-port 10/100/1000 switches, which are currently going for around $800.00 each! :eek:

If they are reliable and work well in a corporate environment, they might work out (especially since we are not necessarily brand-loyal to Cisco).

Anybody?

Here's another link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124055

I have a SRW2024 (the 24 port cousing of the SRW2048) running the network in my house. I really haven't had any problems with it. I'm in the process of getting some good gigabit NIC's so I can do a stress test between two PC's to check the bandwidth, but just on using two onboard gigabit NIC's I've reached a peakc of over 700Mb/s using iperf. I would recommend the product. It has been very solid here.

One minor complaint is the web-based interface, it works most of the time, but for file upload/download it is kinda confusing. But man does this thing fly!

I just can't believe the price difference between the Linksys switch at $800.00 and a comparable Cisco switch (3560G-48TS) at $5800.00. My goodness...is Cisco really worth $5000.00 more? The data sheet on the Linksys switch seems to confirm that it would do everything we need it to do.

Well if it was me.. yes I would buy a almost 6 grand cisco.. but at that price, I would look for a modular one off ebay. Linksys is a division of cisco so the quality of products is still there. That switch seems still manageable so it wouldnt be a bad choice for a network switch but I wouldnt use it as core...

I would never sue a linksys switch as a backbone switch. There is a reason Cisco is #1. I reccomend looking at HP procurve 10/100/1000 switches if you want to save some money. Not work putting a linksys in even if it is gigabit.

oakfan52 said:
I would never sue a linksys switch as a backbone switch... Not work putting a linksys in even if it is gigabit.
Why? Are there reports of problems or poor performance from these Linksys switches that I have overlooked somewhere?

i just purchased one off newegg for my company. it should be arriving on friday, so i will post with updates as to how good it is!

kbr420 said:
i just purchased one off newegg for my company. it should be arriving on friday, so i will post with updates as to how good it is!
Cool...let's hear how it does when you get it.

First of all, there is alot more too the 3560 than with this linksys switch. Ya know the old saying, "you get what you pay for" ? That definatly applies here. The 3560 is a Layer 3 switch, the linksys is not.
I could go on, but read for yourself http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_data_sheet09186a00801f3d7d.html

Is the $5800 worth it? In my opinion yes, as a backbone switch. Now if you only have 1 switch and need 48 connections, (in a very small business situation) i'd recommend the linksys.

WesM63 said:
First of all, there is alot more too the 3560 than with this linksys switch. Ya know the old saying, "you get what you pay for" ? That definatly applies here. The 3560 is a Layer 3 switch, the linksys is not.
I could go on, but read for yourself http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_data_sheet09186a00801f3d7d.html

Is the $5800 worth it? In my opinion yes, as a backbone switch. Now if you only have 1 switch and need 48 connections, (in a very small business situation) i'd recommend the linksys.
Just so you know, Layer 3 functionality will be available on the Linksys switch with a future firmware release, if that makes any difference.

I really just want to know if anyone has tried the Linksys in a corporate environment (with around 100 nodes), and if it truly is able to push the amount of traffic that a Cisco switch can.

electech98 said:
I really just want to know if anyone has tried the Linksys in a corporate environment (with around 100 nodes), and if it truly is able to push the amount of traffic that a Cisco switch can.

I don't have that model out at clients, but I have deployed quite a few of those SRW series switches since they came out with that "higher end" line after Cisco bought them up. Quite a few models with the dual giga uplinks. I have some running several networks in the 50 - 80 node range...been replacing older switches with them. I'm quite happy with them. IMO fantastic "bang for the buck".

Sure they're not a Cisco CAT, but for a basic managed switch with some giga and port based VLANs (really the only features I use in managed switches) they do very well.

I really like the SR and SRW line of switches, and the RV0 series routers. I think they hit a great "middle market" there.

We use the for our workgroup switches. They hang off our core cisco stuff, to connect directally to pc's. They are a good solid switch. The web interface is easy to use. There are limitations with vlans and post spanning. If i remember correctally, you cannot span more than 4 ports. Their tech support is based in a foreign country. They release a new firmware what seems like every week.

Thanks for the replies.

Funny thing is, I talked to my manager (The VP of IT) about the situation, and since we have some room to play with in our technology upgrade budget, she wants me to get some quotes on 4 Cisco 3560G-48TS switches (10/100/1000), just so we know we are getting a good quality product from a trusted name.

I will admit, going with a fairly new player in the corporate networking market is a bit scary, so maybe we will end up spending a bunch of moola for peace-of-mind.

electech98 said:
I will admit, going with a fairly new player in the corporate networking market is a bit scary, so maybe we will end up spending a bunch of moola for peace-of-mind.

I don't consider it a "new player"...I consider it "trickle down technology"..since Cisco snagged Linksys, I believe their more entry level switch components are under the hood of this series.

I haven't noticed rapid firmware releases, at least not on the models I work with. And for tech support, depends on the package/deal you have, when I need it, the deal I have, I get a Cisco tech in the states. Not entry level support.

YeOldeStonecat said:
I don't consider it a "new player"...I consider it "trickle down technology"..since Cisco snagged Linksys, I believe their more entry level switch components are under the hood of this series.

I haven't noticed rapid firmware releases, at least not on the models I work with. And for tech support, depends on the package/deal you have, when I need it, the deal I have, I get a Cisco tech in the states. Not entry level support.
That's cool. Sometimes it's hard to know where some manufacturers stand on product quality...but, as a point in Linksys's favor, they are now a division of Cisco; and I doubt Cisco would let one of their divisions put out crappy stuff.

But, in the end, if my manager tells me to buy 4 $5000.00 - $6000.00 Cisco gigabit switches, who am I to argue? ;)

This is going to sound insane to even mention in a thread where Cisco is being mentioned, but when I was looking for a 16-port GigE switch to run my home ports, the Belkin model was a good $200 cheaper than a lot of the others, including the SRW2016. Haven't had any trouble with it, and can easily push simultaneous HDTV streams over it with no lag. Powered by an ipcop box running dual PRO1000/MTs.

I would recommend getting the EMI feature set with the 3560's. The EMI feature set gives you full IP routing capabilites. The SMI is limited to the routing it can do. Also look into getting a cisco smartnet contract, trust me.. it will save ur ass if you ever get in a pinch.

I've used the 16 and 24 port versions of the linksys switches. Yea they work, but they do not have the feautres that the cisco switches do have. Spend the money now and it will save your business money in the long run.

electech98 said:
But, in the end, if my manager tells me to buy 4 $5000.00 - $6000.00 Cisco gigabit switches, who am I to argue? ;)

Certainly! If the bean counters cut checks like that for ya! As long as it doesn't sacrifice you getting you other things that you need. :D

I would say it shouldn't be a big deal

hell at my last job we ripped out the old 3coms (hubs) and then also added a few new switches. We went with $100 SMC switches (not my choice) and didn't have any problems for the remainder of my 6 month stay.

But also keep in mind, we didn't have a high load network. Only 100 users (give or take) and and around 10 servers. Only thing used here was network storage of word/excel/other files, and to run a handful of server accouting & business applications. We never seen slow down of the network. The switches were only 100base and had 2 gigabit uplinks IIRC.

If you're at a small office, low to medium load, those should be more than sufficient. Price wise, you could replace everything in the office with Linksys compared to just 1 Cisco. If nothing else, pick up 1 extra to have on hand incase one breaks :)

Back