Linksys Router Question

KarFai

Limp Gawd
Alright, this is a problem my buddy proposed to me that he is currently having. He runs and IRC server off an internal network that is connected to the internet by a linksys router. His router runs on DHCP and just breaks their DSL up to multiple computers. We have the required ports forwarded to the irc server as needed for server operation. The problem is that every now and then the DHCP will release and give the server a new address if the other systems aren't online, which then requires a change in the ircd conf files, which is a real pain. My solution to the problem would be use an IP address outside of the DHCP range, while in the same block and subnet and it should still be able to communicate from my expereince in networking. Now I myself don't own a router, and I cannot phycially goto the location, but what do you think of this idea, also we would still need to forward the ports from the router. I will get the model number from him tommorrow, but if anyone with a linksys router could give me an idea or and ideas in general that would be great.

Thx.

I have a game/ftp/file server, and my roomate uses alot of torrent type stuff. For those 2 machines, we have reserved IPs out of the DHCP table. Still technically DHCP, but the machines always get the same IP, are set up as DHCP clients, and never know the difference. This is the easiest way (IMO) to do it.

EDIT: To be more clear, the reserved IPs are within the router assigned DHCP range, they just get reserved for these 2 PCs.

Do you mean give all the computers static IPs? I'm not fully aware of his other networking configuration, I would prefer to have it only affect the one server, ideally.

KarFai said:
Do you mean give all the computers static IPs? I'm not fully aware of his other networking configuration, I would prefer to have it only affect the one server, ideally.

Not really. The machines are still DHCP clients. The router is still handing out dynamic IPs. However, it just happens to only give out the reserved IPs to the MAC addresses of the NICs in my specified machines.

Back