Linksys router behind firewalled modem, trouble configuring

Saa|3

n00b
I got a problem that I seem to be stuck on. I have an ADSL modem that uses PPPoE (ZyXEL Prestige 623ME, but I don't expect anyone to know anything about it, cuz it's hard to find info on it), but the way it's set up is it does all the PPPoE for me and even has a built in firewall and all, DHCP server and NAT and everything. I don't really wanna use this firewall cuz I'm gonna use a wireless Router (Linksys WRT54G), but it seems when I turn the firewall shit off on the modem it stops working. So it seems I have to set up my router to work its firewall behind this modem, which is where my question is. I can't seem to be able to get it to work, it worked for a bit but not anymore. When it worked I was just messing around with all the settigns I could think of, like making it act as "router" instead of "gateway", letting it do dynamic routing, then turning that off, and somehow it worked for a bit, then it stopped working, Honestly I didn't really know what I has to set things to, just trying shit. Then it stopped working and I had to reset the router. I tried it again this morning with no luck, basically my router gets an IP from the modem's DHCP, but that's doesn't do anything. If I just connect a Windows XP comp directly, it works okay. Anyone know of a guide that could help me with this, or know how to set this up? Ideally if someone out there knows how to skip past the modem's firewall that would be sweet, cuz I'm worried about setting port forwarding through multiple firewalls, etc, but whatever, one problem at a time. Sorry for the long question, and thanks in advance for any help.

Saa|3

Call your ISP, find out what your modem's IP is (something like 192.168.1.254 or thereabouts), type in http://yourmodem'sIP in Internet Explorer and hit enter, then there should be a configuration page. Try enabling "IP Passthrough" or something like that, that should forward all requests to your router, effectively disabling your Modem's NAT. That's what I had to do. If you've already tried this and no dice, sorry...

Yeah, I think I've already tried this by disabling all the firewall restrictions, i haven't seen a "pass through" option but I can look some more, the problem is the only documentation for my modem is in german and french (living in switzerland for a year). I'll do some more mushing around and see what I can get, but I'm pretty sure I should get the router to work by getting an IP from the modem's DHCP...

Saa|3

Okay, my problem has become a little simpler, but I still need some help. Basically my setup of router behind modem works, for a bit. Then it stops working. Then I reset my router, and it works long enough for me to write this msg, then it stops working (though the router still has an IP and everything from the modem). So what can I do? I am letting my modem give the router an IP through DHCP.

Saa|3

find out the DHCP range for your modem, then assign a different Static LAN IP. Just change the last digit by 5 or so.

hmm, making everything with static IP's didn't solve it, making them far away from each other and all... gonna try and contact linksys about this one... thanks for all the help, any thing else?

Saa|3

Okay, finally got my thing to work thanks to the Linksys knowledge base. Since my modem also uses 192.168.1.1 as the default ip address, I had to change my router to 192.168.0.1. No other number will work, as I tried and failed. So thank you Linksys!!!!

Saa|3

Back