Linksys router and BitTorrent Bottlenecks

maxpower1119

Limp Gawd
I have a Linksys router (WRT54G) and a network of 4 pc's, 2 xboxes, and 2 laptops (which are connected wired and wirelessly depending on their location.) I am also using a netgear 5 port switch (FS605) which is connected to the router. One PC an xbox, and sometimes the 2 laptops are also connected to the switch.
The problem we are having is that if one person is downloading something via bittorrent, it pretty much renders our internet connection useless. I realize that uploading and downloading obviously require bandwidth but it seems that even if the client is set to upload at 5k max, and downloading say 40k, the internet barely works for everyone on the network. I notcied that it doesnt seem to have so much to do with the actual up/down speed, but how many peers are connected. Is it possible that the router cannot handle the vast number of connections?
I am on Cox broadband internet with speeds tested from dslreports to be about 5MBps down and 1.6MBps up. On a side note i used to have a cheapy NIC that would crash my pc when using bittorrent if too many clients are connected, regardless of speed. I am wondering if this is a similar situation.

PS: Last year we only had 3 pcs and a laptop on this router and we never seemed to have these bottlenecks unless it was strictly bandwidth related. Im wondering if the linksys cannot handle a "large" number of clients.

I just started having this problem too, I just recently switched to a WRT54G-V4, using 4.20.6 firmware. What bittorrent client are you using? I'm using ABC 3.1.

It seems like the router gets flooded with lan>internet traffic. I haven't tried connecting straight to the modem or a different NIC yet. But I am tempted to hookup the cisco switch and router I have laying around just to see if that solves it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Back