Linksys Networking Problems

WickedAngel

2[H]4U
I recently purchased a Linksys Wireless-G router and Wireless-G PCI Adapter in the hopes of setting up a small network (I just want basic things like file transfers and internet sharing).

The router itself installed fine. There was no problem and it immediately recognized that the computer was connected to the internet.

The problem came when I tried to install the adapter. First, I put the installation CD in and the system didn't recognize it. That didn't really bother me, so I went into the CD via the Windows Explorer and double-clicked on the setup application. The hourglass shows for a split-second, then nothing happens. I then try to start the program through the Run option in the Start menu. Still doesn't work

I restart the computer and the New Hardware Wizard comes up. It recognizes the PCI card and I choose the drivers located in the disk that wasn't working earlier. It installs the device. It says there is a wireless connection.

I can transfer files between the computers, but I can't get internet sharing to work. Anyone have any suggestions?

Let me guess, is it Windows XP

Linksys wireless card software does not work with XP. Simply throw in the card, point the drivers from the CD and then use XP's built in wireless to connect to the network

Why do you need internet connect sharing when your getting internet from WAP? That kinda defeats the purpose.

I'm a noob on networking, so I'm not exactly sure what WAP is. Wireless access point?

I'm just trying to get both computers set-up so that I can access the internet wirelessly from my room.

WickedAngel said:
I'm a noob on networking, so I'm not exactly sure what WAP is. Wireless access point?

I'm just trying to get both computers set-up so that I can access the internet wirelessly from my room.

K, assuming your getting internet from CABLE or DSL i'll keep this simple so you can just plug and go.

1. Plug the LAN interface of the DSL or Cable modem into the WAN interface using ethernet cord
2. Use the Linsksys startup CD to set up the wireless router and follow its instructions
3. Check available wireless networks on the other desktop and connect to it.

Thats the purest and simpliest way to do it, though it may require more effort on your part depnding on your ISP and how your DSL or cable modem works.

I uninstalled the drivers and started from scratch. It's working now.

Thank you very much for the help, Ice.

Back