Linksys Firmware

mpegripper

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey All,

I have a linksys WRT54G router and was wondering what your thoughts were on firmware that could keep all the normal functionality of the Linksys firmware and all the possibility of assigning public ip's to different ports.

DSL Extreme gives me 5 ips and currently I connect to the DSL Extreme service through the Static IP option on my router, but I would like to have each computer in my home connect from a different IP so they can each server different purposes. I prefer one of the free firmwares, but if a paid one is that much better, than why not.

TIA

The router isn't going to assign public IP addresses to your machines. The only way to do that would be to connect each machine to the Internet directly, obviously not the best choice.

Alternatively you could connect your Internet connection to a LAN port on the router and just use it as a switch, but that would be the same as hooking each PC to the Internet directly.

To do 1 to 1 NAT, what you want to do I assume, requires a router with a bit more intelligence, like a Cisco 800 series.

sveasoft says their firmware does the following:

DHCP static IP assignment to specific MAC addresses

does that sound right to you?

Odds are your ISP will not let any of your static IPs be any more than one hop away from your modem (it has to do with ARP'ing, but it might work), so you'd have to connect them directly to the internet. Plus, putting static IPs on your computers behind a router would be no different than hooking them up directly to the cable modem through a switch.

What DHCP static assignment means is that you can enter the MAC/hostname of a computer on your network and DHCP will always assign it the same IP address.

thanks for the help, i'm assuming you mean the same private ip, such as 192.168.1.100, right?

If you get the sveasoft firware, it'll work. Its the same concept I use with my Cisco router, and yes, the ISP will allow it. What do expect the ISP to not allow use of routers to get access to the IPs? That's the only way to do it....

so lets say i can assign public ips thru the sveasoft firmware

my current connection settings are through a static ip on the router and the gateway, dns, etc.

how would i connect now, same thing, but all traffic goes thru the first ip then gets routed to the other external ips?

Back