Linksys Firmware Upgrade for Wi-Fi Routers Angers Users

Cisco - We're trying our hardest to catch up with Google's level of creepy on a network infrastructure near you!

cisco just bought a company i forget if it was Smart RG or Clear Acess and they are the ones who made this cloud based system. in theory it is great for ISP because they can configure a router in the cloud then the customer just plugs in the router and it updates and works. customer can default it 100 times and it still goes back to the same settings.

i said in theory because their use of TR-069 works like a pile of ass. we bought 5000 of these cloud based routers as a test and they were nothing but trouble.

My E4200 has been working pretty well for me. Looks like I won't be upgrading any time soon.

My E4200 has been working pretty well for me. Looks like I won't be upgrading any time soon.

its just the EA3500 and EA4500 for now.

My complaint is filed with BBB and Cisco has not responded to my emails.

its just the EA3500 and EA4500 for now.

My complaint is filed with BBB and Cisco has not responded to my emails.

I kinda doubt that sending an e-mail will get you anyplace. Cisco supplies equipment to major businesses that spend millions at once on their products. What Linksys does with inexpensive residental stuff isn't a big deal on a per person basis since you're gonna buy one router every few years at really low profit margins. I think they really only bought Linksys because they wanted to keep the company from entering the enterprise market as competition, not because they wanted to deal with residential routers.

If someone does respond, it'll be a customer service rep or some nameless person in the company (maybe posing as someone more important or given an important sounding title) that will placate you or, at best, give you a link to download the previous version firmware. You might get a refund if you take enough of their time.

I kinda doubt that sending an e-mail will get you anyplace. Cisco supplies equipment to major businesses that spend millions at once on their products. What Linksys does with inexpensive residental stuff isn't a big deal on a per person basis since you're gonna buy one router every few years at really low profit margins. I think they really only bought Linksys because they wanted to keep the company from entering the enterprise market as competition, not because they wanted to deal with residential routers.

If someone does respond, it'll be a customer service rep or some nameless person in the company (maybe posing as someone more important or given an important sounding title) that will placate you or, at best, give you a link to download the previous version firmware. You might get a refund if you take enough of their time.

I work directly with Cisco, I'm just taking the consumer level avenue for now. :D

Is the Tomato firmware being updated? I had heard that Tomato has the most user friendly interface when compared to DD-WRT. What router is the best to use with Tomato? I want something that has the most powerful processor and very good wireless signal strength.

Thanks again!!

Also, does Tomato support PPPoE connections?

It's been updated once since I've used it and have no problems. I'm not sure about which is the best router, so long as it's listed in the compatibility list. Like I said, with stock firmware the wireless portion would crash occasionally with wireless netflix streaming. Tomato fixed all that. There's PPPoE connections and logging. Sounds like there are a more things that can be done with scripts over the GUI. But the GUI has tons of options itself.

Just another reason to stay away from Linksuck and Ciscock.
Tomato firmware ftw.

on july 5th, Cisco flashed my router to the previous version.

Back