Linksys E3000-Only connecting 100Mbps

Island

Gawd
Hi all....Connected my home network/Xbox/ps3/etc.....Everything is running great, except my wired PC's are only connecting at 100Mbps.....I think the answer is the following....My ISP is Surewest and even with fiberoptic they are only capable of 50Mbps max speeds...When The installer hooked me up back in 2007(I live in a new community develop) He said that he was going to splice and use 2 pairs of the cat5 in my loft so I could have tv and internet in my loft. I guess he also spliced and used 2 pair in my office as well.....

The problem I am finding is that for gigabit ethernet you need to utilize all 4 pair of wire from the cat5....The 2nd level tech from Surewest tried to bullshit me and tell me that my house is probably not set up for gigabit speed and then also says that my computers probably dont have gigabit capability....

After I put his dumb ass in check by telling him I am not a noob, he says well, I wouldn't really benefit from gigabit as the ISP's max connwction is 50Mbps...Well, I tell him that I know that but having a gigabit connection would be huge with local file sharing on my Lan, versus 100 Mbps...

He then finally tells me that the installer did his job and my service is working, and if I wanted the gigabit connection fixed, I would be charged a full service fee and install....What a bunch of crap...Can any of you experts here confirm that the the use of only 2 pairs of cat5 in my network is why I am only seeing a connection of 100Mbps? Is there any setting I may have overlooked? Thanks in advance fellas!

Yep, Gigabit needs all four pairs. If you only have the two, the hardware is physically incapable of operating at gigabit speeds. It's a damn shame those morons expect you to pay them to fix their crap wiring job. He split the cable for TV and internet? Usually it's split for internet and phone. I would recommend chopping off the termination, hooking up all four pairs.

Hey ty for the reply...Yea, he split the cat 5 into 2 seperate pairs...My home has fiber optic to the house hub gateway, and then my home has cat5 running throughout, and my internet and set top boxes for hdtv utilize cat5. I only had 1 drop coming into the loft, so he needed to splice that cat 5 so I could have intermnet and tv, but for my office and master bedroom, he also spliced cat5 and I don't know why because he did not have to...sux though...I guess ill just deal with 100Mbps

Back