Linking two routers and creating seprate SSIDs

amrogers3

Gawd
Hello, I have a question for ya'll. I created a 2 network 2 router solution a while back and have now forgot what I did.

I have two wireless routers. One is an Apple Airport Extreme and the other is DDWRT on a DWRT54G.

I connected these two routers via a wired connection and created two separate wireless networks. (At least I think I did)

I connected everything back up and it does not work anymore.

Anyway, if someone could point me in the right direction for instructions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.

I have a setup like this. We have a crappy modem/router from our isp and I have an openwrt flashed router. I just plugged the openwrt into the crap router.
Beforehand I set the openwrt model to give out 192.168.1.xxx ip's and set its ip to be 192.168.1.1
The crap router runs 10.0.0.xxx ip addresses. I let both give out dhcp.
One caveat is that anyone on the crap network can't see anything on my personal network. And then you also may have to adjust NAT settings also but I'm limited in networking so hopefully someone else will chime in

amrogers3-
For this explanation, I'm assuming the DDWRT router is what you want at your ISP link, either way you can switch them around if you prefer. Set your DDWET in default router mode, wire it normally (ISP link in WAN port) create the SSID, etc.

On the airport extreme, you should set it to have a static LAN address outside of the DHCP scope that your DDWRT is providing. Disable DHCP. Plug the wired port into the 1-4 ports instead of the WAN port, which in essence turns it into an Access Point. Leave the WAN port (on the apple) unplugged. Setup the SSID, done.

jay2472000-
As for your question of Double NAT, if you plan on using two routers against one another (not recommended in a home setup IMO), you would turn on DMZ on your top router, and put the second router in the DMZ. This allows you to properly port forward without issue, at a single point.

Back