Linking two domains together in AD 2000

Okay, I have two different AD domains located in two cities. What I am trying to do is get the two domains to see each other so I can try some data replication software.
There is a two way trust set up between the two domains and I can browse the other domain by running \\domain2.com. The issue seems to be that I need to be able to see Domain2 in the network listing of network places, like we were all on the same LAN. Both domains are on different subnets. Domian1 is 192.168.1.x and Domain2 is 192.168.2.x.
This is so beyond my scope of understanding as far as Active Directory is concerned that I am about to pull out my hair. Any help on this one would be great.

I forgot to mention that the two offices are using Cisco Pix 501 to connect via VPN and the firewalls are active.

I'd be evaluating a different replication software if the only way to choose the servers was thru network neighborhood.

What replication software are you wanting to try?
Any reason why your not looking at the built in DFS/FRS ?

The situation is more out of my hands than anything. I have been there for three days and was told to make it work. :rolleyes: My boss has an old version of Veritas volume replicator and no one seems to be interested in springing for the new version. Even beyond just setting up the replication software, I want to have everything under my thumb so I can control it at my office.

Wouldn't I still need both domains linked in order to use DFS?

I have a ton of cleaning up to do and a lot of the stuff is way out of my skill set but I like the challenge and the fact that I am doing new things. I am sorry about hitting the forum with all the stupid questions but I am trying hard to make a good impression on these guys. This is my first honest to God network admin job and I just don't want to screw it up, I have no intentions of going back to the call center scene.

Thanks again!

a lot of the stuff is way out of my skill set

I am trying hard to make a good impression on these guys

These statements are contradictory. I guess if your not getting paid and they know your learning on the job and as you go then ethically there is no problem. If they don't and they expect you have the knowledge to do what they are asking and you don't have that knowledge or ability then my suggestion would be to engage someone who does to take over the job. This is not a personal thing. Merely a professional one.

ktwebb said:
These statements are contradictory. I guess if your not getting paid and they know your learning on the job and as you go then ethically there is no problem. If they don't and they expect you have the knowledge to do what they are asking and you don't have that knowledge or ability then my suggestion would be to engage someone who does to take over the job. This is not a personal thing. Merely a professional one.

I guess I should have elaborated.
...a lot of the stuff is way out of my skill and they know it .
...I am trying hard to make a good impression on these guys by overcoming my own shortcomings and getting the job done .

It is a small company so it is not out of the norm to get a task that may be a bit of a challenge. I understand where you are coming from though, even though I have been told a million times to just do my best it still scares the crap out of me and I still think that I can get it done, one way or another.

Back