Linking MOCA adapter to LAN

titan97

Gawd
I recently purchased a Actiontec MOCA adapter to link several devices on the far side of my house to my existing LAN. However, it wasn't that easy. I have Verizon FIOS with their MOCA gateway connected to my own router (ASUS RT-AC66U). The new Actiontec adapter is on the same subnet as the gateway (192.168.1.x), along with the HTPC it is connected to via its Ethernet port. The ASUS router has a WAN address of 192.168.1.3 and a LAN address of 192.168.2.1. All of my other LAN devices are on the 192.168.2.x subnet. The HTPC connected to the new MOCA adapter is too far away from the router to pick up a reliable wifi signal and this is a rental home, so running Cat 5/6 cable isn't in the cards.

Ultimately, I need the HTPC on the 192.168.1.x subnet to connect to the media server on the 192.168.2.x subnet. Suggestions?

Just going to throw this out there, I have MOCA on my home network for my Tivo boxes.

It is really finicky as to how it needs to be setup IIRC the Moca Bridge is setup in front of the router and Cable modem.

Put the actiontek on your asus?

How would I do this? The Actiontec only has 2 ports: one coaxial and one Ethernet. it simply adapts the PCs Ethernet communications to MoCA over the coaxial cable. And since the coaxial cables in the house run to the FIOS MoCA gateway, I don't see how I can "put the actiontek on my asus?"

Just going to throw this out there, I have MOCA on my home network for my Tivo boxes.

It is really finicky as to how it needs to be setup IIRC the Moca Bridge is setup in front of the router and Cable modem.

This sounds promising. Can you elaborate more on how I might accomplish this, please?

I use a MoCA on my network. I have a pair of Actiontec MoCA adaptors with the coaxial being dedicated between the two devices (unhooked an old unused cable line in my office that ran down to my basement). They aren't IP addressable, they act as media converters.

Router --> Switch --> Moca #1 -----COAX Cable----> Moca #2 ---> PC

Works great and I get 100 Mbit throughput to my network.

Router --> Switch --> Moca #1 -----COAX Cable----> Moca #2 ---> PC

I was considering something like this, too. It seems that every room in the house has 2 coaxial lines run, EXCEPT for the office (which is where my gateway and router are located). When the FIOS guy did he install, he stole a coax line from an adjacent room to use for the gateway. I will see if I have easy access to the other coax line, at which point I can purchase another MoCA adapter and use the dedicated coax line as a bridge. It is a good thing that there are multiple lines in this house, and I have easy access to them all in the attic.

Keep in mind with MoCa that you can have up to 16 devices on a line and they can co-exist with other signals. Though, it does seem that you'd need to have them physically separate so you don't end up getting connected to the .1.x network instead of the .2.x network.

The other way that may work is allowing traffic through your router from the HTPC.

It also sounds like you're double-NATing with your setup - I'm not familiar with Verizon's service, but it'd probably make sense to run their equipment in bridge mode and put everything behind your router instead....

Back