• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Link between OS and RAID Volume

Jeroen1000

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 17, 2010
Messages
266
Since I do not have any data on my RAID yet (well, of which I do not have a backup), I'm wondering whether the array is hosed if the OS break down? Or can I reinstall the OS and simply add the volumes again?

I'm intending to try this this evening, but if someone knows, I can spend my time more useful lol

cheers,
Jeroen
 
Any link would depend on the OS used and the type of raid. HW raid should have no link. Non windows software raid (mdadm / zfs) also should not have a link since metadata is on the disks. BIOS/FakeRaid should not have a link since metadata is on the disks. So that leaves windows software raid. I really can not comment on that since I have not used that in a decade...
 
I really should have mentioned I have hardware raid with Areca (sorry for forgetting). So, what happens to to my RAID volume (the drive letter I can click in Windows) when I would reinstall the OS? Would it just (re)appear like any other disk (with all data intact) because I have had already formatted it as NTFS (which Windows will just recognize after the reinstall)?
 
Would it just (re)appear like any other disk (with all data intact) because I have had already formatted it as NTFS (which Windows will just recognize after the reinstall)?

Only the drive letter is stored in the OS. You will get a new one assigned if you plugged the card in a different windows box. Also with HW raid you could plug the array in a linux box and use it provided the ntfs filesystem driver was installed (most likely the raid card driver will be builtin the os). Remember HW raid is independent of the OS.
 
Back
Top