Lines on display

hipsterdoofus

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I built an HTPC awhile back. My primary tv is not an HDTV, but my HD TV in my bedroom is connected via an xbox 360. I've noticed on some shows (currently I only notice it on cartoons my daughter is watching) that when there is quick movement on the screen, I see a series of lines on the tv. At first I thought it was just on my older tv and figured it had to do with resolution, but I noticed it on my HD TV as well. Haven't really noticed it on regular shows but maybe its just more noticeable due to the colors on cartoons. Anyway, I'm fairly new at all this so I'm curious if anyone has any ideas on this.

It actually sounds like tearing. You need to post your HTPC's specs and TV model numbers.

It actually sounds like tearing. You need to post your HTPC's specs and TV model numbers.

Ok, heres the htpc spec:

ASUS M3N78-EM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8300 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2
WD Green Caviar 1TB HD
2 Gig RAM

- I also am running this all off of a Radeon HD 4350, not the built in video - because my living room TV is an old tube tv and needed the S-Video out.

Now, I can see that S-Video connection causing me problems - the issue is, I have a Sanyo 26" 720p HDTV in the bedroom and the same thing happens on it, so it does not appear to be video card related. As I mentioned, I really notice it most on cartoons, but it may be happening on other shows and just not noticing - basically after a quick movement, there are a series of thing lines on the screen just briefly. Thanks for your comments everyone!

Quick movement and lines??? Sounds like a de-interlacing problem.

Anything resembling this??

http://www.digital-rapids.com/Resources/Preprocessing/Preprocessing2.aspx

edit: If it does resemble that, what's happening is that you don't have deinterlacing set correctly somewhere. I use software deinterlacing mostly (but not quite as old school as that link's) because most of my encodes don't support hardware deinterlace or something in MPC. For DVD's and Blu-ray content though it should work properly, if you use the right player etc.

Last edited:
I cheated and downloaded the CCC codec pack including MPC. With the default install options ffdshow video takes over, and I just enable whatever software deinterlacing mode looks best in the rare event I have interlacing issues, I have plenty of cpu power to spare.

To do hardware deinterlacing and decoding you need a player that supports it. I haven't really messed with getting video acceleration to work ever since I got a dual core cpu, I just never needed the assist.

There's lots of home theater forums/help threads that could probably help you (just google dxva video ati deinterlace), that's pretty much what I'm working off of right now. I'll give some stuff a try on this end and get back to you, I managed to get hardware accel to work for h264 in MPC , but I don't appear to have hw deinterlacing just yet.

Edit: Just to clarify the playback is being done via the xbox?? I don't have one nor have I set up a media center like yours so I'm sorta in the dark here. Interlacing is present in most dvd media. Animation with the relatively simple lines and high contrast areas does highlight it more than a film would. If the playback is being done by software on the xbox360 itself with the movies on the htpc, my guess is you would be best of re-ripping the animated movies and doing a decomb/deinterlace during the encode, instead of during playback.

Last edited:
I cheated and downloaded the CCC codec pack including MPC. With the default install options ffdshow video takes over, and I just enable whatever software deinterlacing mode looks best in the rare event I have interlacing issues, I have plenty of cpu power to spare.

To do hardware deinterlacing and decoding you need a player that supports it. I haven't really messed with getting video acceleration to work ever since I got a dual core cpu, I just never needed the assist.

There's lots of home theater forums/help threads that could probably help you (just google dxva video ati deinterlace), that's pretty much what I'm working off of right now. I'll give some stuff a try on this end and get back to you, I managed to get hardware accel to work for h264 in MPC , but I don't appear to have hw deinterlacing just yet.

Edit: Just to clarify the playback is being done via the xbox?? I don't have one nor have I set up a media center like yours so I'm sorta in the dark here. Interlacing is present in most dvd media. Animation with the relatively simple lines and high contrast areas does highlight it more than a film would. If the playback is being done by software on the xbox360 itself with the movies on the htpc, my guess is you would be best of re-ripping the animated movies and doing a decomb/deinterlace during the encode, instead of during playback.

Hey there - thanks - Well, I have playback done on the tv via svideo as well as through the xbox to the hdtv - which is why i figured it was not a video card issue since it appears on the xbox too. As far as deinterlacing during encoding - is this not something that would be done automatically on media center?

One would think so, but proper hardware deinterlacing requires that the video send out a "flag" telling the computer to deinterlace the frame, and the computer has to be listening for that flag. For some reason or another sometimes that doesn't happen. Either there's a checkbox somewhere that was never ticked off, or the rip didn't put the flags in, etc. I haven't used media center's encoder, but I wouldn't be surprised if that feature was left out.

Back