Lineage II

Jay D.

Weaksauce
I've been iching for an MMORPG to play and I was thinking of trying L2. What are some of the pro and cons of the game. Also I've heard that its hard to play with out a large party.

If I start up with 2 friends will the 3 of us be able to stick togther and enjoy the game long enough for it to be worth it?

ya i beta tested the game and it was extremely fun and i also did well on my own

-warsaw

I can't really recommend L2 to anyone after playing more then one stage of the NA beta. The game is VERY time consuming and does require a large party constantly killing for hours on end to gain any sort of XP. If I remember correctly it took a few Japanese players sharing an account (keeping it online 24/7) 175 days played time to reach L60. I don't even think thats the max level anymore.

If you want a MMO that you can jump into, have some fun, even with a small group of friends. I would recommend City of Heroes. I played beta, and have some friends playing release now and it's great. The sidekick feature is awesome for getting people caught up who don't have as much playtime, etc. All around a great game, plus PvP will be getting added with the addition of the City of Villans expansion.

Would definatly recommend looking into it.

I was thinking of city of heros but I was kind of looking more into the midevil or swords/magic kinda game. Would FFXI be a better choice over L2?

I can't recommend Lineage II either. SWG is a lot better. Lineage II just reminds me of Diablo 2, only a lot more so...

I have played FF XI and I would not recommend that game. There is no such thing as a quick transportation at the beginning of the game. At level 20, you will finally get a chocobo license which are much faster then walking. The max item you can hold on yourself is 30. Now, for equipment alone, its probably 15 items. This leaves you the rest to store items which the mosnters drops. That isn't very much space.

You are constantly walking back and forth to the towns to sell off your junk or to reenable your "signet." The whole process will take about 10-20 mins. :(

After about lvl 10-13 , you have to join a party just to gain EXP. Depending on your class that you pick, it could probably take 20mins or over an hour to find a decent team. But by that time, your fellow teammates are probably bored or sleepy then you're on a hunt for teammates. :(

Well, the economy in this game is excellence. There wont be any inflation in the price or anything. But life in that came will become more bearable as you level up. spells like "warp" can instantly take you back to town. If you're not a patient person... Dont bother with this game

Maximus825 said:
I can't recommend Lineage II either. SWG is a lot better. Lineage II just reminds me of Diablo 2, only a lot more so...
May I ask how Lineage II reminded you of Diablo II? I don't think they were alike..

I was also in CB and OB. The game seems to have potential and is fun at first, but it quickly turns into an unrewarding grind. Past a certain level soloing involves a lot of downtime, depending on what class you play. Of course, with a group there's less or no downtime, but it's still a major treadmill. I've paid to play a few other MMORPGs and tested even more of them and most of them have a grind aspect to them, but Lineage II didn't have enough fun to make the grind worthwhile.

Things are probably better now since people are paying to play, but during beta Lineage II seemed to attract more selfish and immature players than I've found in other games.

Finally, the US version of the game is just a translation of the Korean game, which is where the real development happens. The US players don't seem to have much input on features or the direction of the game, we simply got the leftovers of whatever decisions were made in Korea months before.

I recently read an interview with a MMORPG developer (I forget which title), but he said when they started out developing the game, they didn't want to make a "sitting and running simulator". When I read that, I thought he was perfectly describing Lineage II.

The more I read on the L2 forums the more the game doesn't look that great.

What other MMORPG out there might be good?

City of Heroes...

Dark Age of Camelot isn't to bad... just wouldnt suggest playing on a PvP server. Not going to get to max lvl as quick as some people since it sounds like you will be in a small group. But if you have never played it before. Its an idea.... I got sick of it after like a year and a half.

I played Lineage 2 till my one month was up. I did not like one thing about that game. So I got City of Heroes, and I just cant stop playing. Its such a blast to Co-op with others in this game.

I played L2 during the open beta as well, and it was rather bland. There is really no variety to the game at all, and the areas are all so similar save a dozen or so places that there is really no "wow" factor to exploring new locales. Characters all look the same, enemies all look the same, and the level grind is mind blowingly dull and slow.

I've heard nothing but good things about CoH, so I'd go that route if I were you.

I played Lineage 2...
In the Taiwan Open Beta, Japenese Open beta, US Closed, US Open and then to US p2p...

the US p2p ruined it for me... People in this game are such morons. So i quit
Now i don't have to play a game that is more like a job than a game.

Now i play Star Wars Galaxies... Where advancement isn't the top pirority in this game.

i LOVE LINEAGE 2
This game is is kickass

If you are looking for a mediavel MMO this is it

They game is always exiting
If you ever get bored just kill a BOT and build up your pvp ratio

thats what makes this game bad ass
24/7 PVP
u can kill another play at anytime

This sunday there is going to be a huge expansion for free (which all there expansion are going to be free)

They are adding tons of new weapons and skills and quests and a dueling arena
where 2 players can fight without losing exp or a drop

yes there is a lvl grind but the game is not made to where u have to be lvl 60 in 2 months
which i think is nice
i can take a day off and everyone wont be to far ahead of me :)
i only get to play like 3-4 hours a day and im lvl 40
and its kick

Just get in a CLAN and the game will be 20000% better
thats what makes this game its a Clan based game
CASTLE SEIGES! PVP my god

best mmo out right now
If you do decide to play hit me up ill be on the KAIN server
name is SLICKGREEN

I have to say this game sucks.. It takes forever and ever to level and it's not that rewarding when you do. Your character dosen't really even start until you get to level 20 and that takes fucking ages. All you do is click, run, and sit.. and as far as i know the only way to really get good(and boring) items is to buy them from people or stores with the money you collect from the thousands of monsters you kill over and over again for hours on end.

They make it out like it's some huge pvp game, but really it's not. If you attack one person you turn red and immediately get murdered by everyone in a 20 mile radius.. then when you die you drop half the shit you worked for countless hours and days to buy.

Fighting is boring.. the items are boring.. there really is no pvp.. It takes ages to level.. every character in the game looks pretty much exactly the same, except for the items you're wearing(but everyone of the same class around the same level pretty much get the same exact items.. so you all look the fucking same).. half the people playing are annoying 13 year olds or asians that don't speak English.

This game sucks.. horribly bad. Probably the worst RPG i have ever played now that i think about it. I like the controls and the graphics are good(too bad the characters all look the same and like japanese anime).. that's about the only thing good about it.

I myself have been playin City of Heroes, and its a good game. The lack of PvP for another year is rather crappy, and after lvl 30 all you do is solo, or thats how it is right now. The update coming out soon should add some nice stuff, but right now at lvl 30 im bored with the game.

I might try L2 the PvP looks awesome and if the Castle Siege Idea works out well I will definately play. Downsides, you have to solo a mostly till lvl 20 (correct me if im wrong) and theres a shitload of bots, and japanese ppl that yell at you in japanese when you are killing near them.

I played the Korean and U.S. betas, and had a level 22 character at one point. The game is very time-consuming, and besides killing monsters over and over, there really isn't much else to do.

I'd suggest either waiting for WoW or checking out City of Heroes. I hear good things about CoH, and well... everyone is loving WoW.

Even the Koreans are complaining:

Internet game players' group threatens suit against NC Soft

Online game players are threatening to file a class action suit against NC Soft, Korea's largest Internet game developer and publisher. They claim the fees to play the game Lineage are too high and that the company has been negligent in attending to various technical and ethical problems involving the game.

The league also said that the game's server crashed too often, and that there was significant fraud or hacking of the game, yet the company has not taken action to improve conditions.

EDIT: Oh, I'm not sure if they're talking about the original Lineage or Lineage II.

peepeeface said:
I myself have been playin City of Heroes, and its a good game. The lack of PvP for another year is rather crappy, and after lvl 30 all you do is solo, or thats how it is right now. The update coming out soon should add some nice stuff, but right now at lvl 30 im bored with the game.

I might try L2 the PvP looks awesome and if the Castle Siege Idea works out well I will definately play. Downsides, you have to solo a mostly till lvl 20 (correct me if im wrong) and theres a shitload of bots, and japanese ppl that yell at you in japanese when you are killing near them.
Heh its not Japanese people... ITs Chinese Farmers or Botters who camp a same area for 12 hours a day killing the same mobs for Adena (ingame money). Then they sell the Adena on ebay or on their Adena selling website. Most are usuallly hired by some Adean farmer Business lol.

Davmx said:
I have played FF XI and I would not recommend that game. There is no such thing as a quick transportation at the beginning of the game. At level 20, you will finally get a chocobo license which are much faster then walking. The max item you can hold on yourself is 30. Now, for equipment alone, its probably 15 items. This leaves you the rest to store items which the mosnters drops. That isn't very much space.

You are constantly walking back and forth to the towns to sell off your junk or to reenable your "signet." The whole process will take about 10-20 mins. :(

After about lvl 10-13 , you have to join a party just to gain EXP. Depending on your class that you pick, it could probably take 20mins or over an hour to find a decent team. But by that time, your fellow teammates are probably bored or sleepy then you're on a hunt for teammates. :(

Well, the economy in this game is excellence. There wont be any inflation in the price or anything. But life in that came will become more bearable as you level up. spells like "warp" can instantly take you back to town. If you're not a patient person... Dont bother with this game

I will second that FFXI realy is a time consuming game, if you wanna jump into a game and lvl fast go shadowbane, if you wanna jump into a game with less time consuming aspects than L2 or FFXI but more fun (IMO) go dark age of camelot. Ive played all and keep going back to darkage.

I've played Lineage 2, Shadowbane, Dark Age of Camelot and Everquest. The best imo is Everquest, its highly time consuming but the rewards are greater, and the communities in the game are great as well. However, if you are newer to MMORPGs, I would suggest starting with Dark Age of Camelot. DAoC is a great MMORPG to start with, the learning curve is better and the game is always a lot of fun, and you can choose whether you want to focus on PvP or not. I'm not a fan of PvP in MMORPGs because its never truely balanced (compared to FPS where everyone starts out on the same level.)

So basically, I would recommend DAOC if your gonna play casually, or EQ if your going to play tons.

I am playing L2 on the Kain server, the level grind isn't as bad as some make it out to be. after character creation you can make lvl 10 within a few hours of play even less if you have a friend help you level I power leveled a friend of mine to 20 in a few hours from level 3 after level 20 till 35 ish you should be able to make a level every couple of days depending on how much time you are willing to put in. I tend to play a little relaxed since it is for fun that I play and since open beta have 2 chars 1 which is mid 20s and one that is mid 30s. The easiest way to deal with the grind is either have a second char to play or you can just go and explore the world it is quite large and will be getting bigger with each chronicle that they add and as slick mentioned all expansions are going to be free. If you start playing let me know here and I will definatley help you out all I can

Lineage 2 was probablly the worst MMORPG I have played to date...

Barely any custimization, boring grind, and lag city.....

I thought the EQ grind was hard, but it was not near as bad as Lineage 2 was, because it was so boring. I was killing fungus for like a week. The economy is so-so with barely an items, and the crafting system since I played was broken, since it took so much to make an item that was dropped much easier by a mob.

That being said, only the hardcore players can really get into Lineage 2, I was logging something like 40+ hours in my peak time of playing, but the fun of killing the same mob over and over with a very small selection of quests, which invovles killing the "same mobs" gets tedious quick.

The intial fun factor is medium, but it drops faster than a brick within 2 or 3 weeks.

Maxxx- said:
Heh its not Japanese people... ITs Chinese Farmers or Botters who camp a same area for 12 hours a day killing the same mobs for Adena (ingame money). Then they sell the Adena on ebay or on their Adena selling website. Most are usuallly hired by some Adean farmer Business lol.

Yah mibad, crazy chinese de-lvling adena ppls

Back