Line Conditioner + UPS: Which order to hook them up

Kaizer

Gawd
I dont know why, but my thread was moved to the networking thread because people asked questions in my thread off the topic.

Anyway.. My original question never got answered.

I have a ups.. and a line conditioner. Should I...

Wall===>Line conditioner===>UPS
or
Wall===>UPS===>Line conditioner

Unless im mistaken about a UPS being networking equipment.. over-moderation FTL.

Part numbers for your components, please?

Depending on what make/model that UPS is, you might not need a line conditioner.

But, I believe it should go:

WALL --> LC --> UPS --> PC

APC Backup 350 CS
APC 1250 Line-R

I already have the conditioner.. just wasnt sure what the best way to do this is.

Wow. Could you have bought a crappier/over-priced UPS?

If you had a decent UPS, you wouldn't need the line conditioner because a good UPS has AVR. But in your case you're going to want the line conditioner and then the UPS.

And when the UPS dies, go out and spend $20 to $30 more on a 1000VA UPS w/ AVR and replace both UPS and line conditioner. Sell the conditioner on eBay or something.

DejaWiz said:
Depending on what make/model that UPS is, you might not need a line conditioner.

That's why I asked what the UPS was. I wanted to make sure not to confuse by throwing the answer to the obvious out there when the OP may not even need to use a line conditioner.

According to APC's web site, the UPS CS 350 does have some filtering/conditioning properties:
  • Surge energy rating: 300 Joules
  • Filtering: Full time multi-pole noise filtering : 5% IEEE surge let-through : zero clamping response time : meets UL 1449
  • Dataline protection: RJ-45 Modem/Fax protection (two wire single line)
The Line-R 1200 has the following specs:
  • Surge energy rating: 680 Joules
  • EMI/RFI Noise rejection (100 kHz to 10 mHz): 55 dB
  • Peak Current Common Mode: 36 kAmps
  • Let Through Voltage Rating: < 450
I'm with johnnyGURU on this one...see if you can ditch both of those and get a good 1000+ VA UPS with built-in voltage regulation.

jonnyGURU said:
Wow. Could you have bought a crappier/over-priced UPS?
LOL....I saw some extension cords and 9v batteries on sale at walmart the other day! A little scotch tape and some solder...presto! A homemade ups.

I'd probably go UPS -> Line conditioner, that way the power is cleaned just before it's consumed, and if the power blinks, the voltage is still clean when provided by the UPS on battery power.

Also you need a larger UPS really, that one only puts out a tad over 200 watts, you risk overloading it and tripping it on battery power, which kind of defeats the purpose of having it there, especially over time as the battery capacity degrades.

tdg said:
I'd probably go UPS -> Line conditioner, that way the power is cleaned just before it's consumed, and if the power blinks, the voltage is still clean when provided by the UPS on battery power.

Also you need a larger UPS really, that one only puts out a tad over 200 watts, you risk overloading it and tripping it on battery power, which kind of defeats the purpose of having it there, especially over time as the battery capacity degrades.
A surge protector/line conditioner clamps to ground in the event of power loss/power dip or spike, which is bad, bad, bad for running off of UPS batteries. Nothing should ever be plugged in between the component intending to be operated and a UPS outlet.

DejaWiz said:
A surge protector/line conditioner clamps to ground in the event of power loss/power dip or spike, which is bad, bad, bad for running off of UPS batteries. Nothing should ever be plugged in between the component intending to be operated and a UPS outlet.

Exactly. The batteries kick in and all hell's going to break loose. :D

Guys.. this UPS is powering my router only. Nothing else. a 350 is more than sufficient for my tiny netgear wgt614 v2. And.. I got the thing free. Call it crappy.. call it overpriced.. but what ever.. FREE. Its what I had. Sorry its not up to your specs =p

Ive been having issues with my router resetting randomly and I cant figure out why. I figured it was crappy power. Even with the line conditioner the router still reset. Even buying a new router I had the same issue. I guess my modem sucks or something, however I never see this turn off. The router actually reboots like a DOS was done to it or something.

I have a 1500 for my pc FYI.

Kaizer said:
Guys.. this UPS is powering my router only. Nothing else. a 350 is more than sufficient for my tiny netgear wgt614 v2. And.. I got the thing free. Call it crappy.. call it overpriced.. but what ever.. FREE. Its what I had. Sorry its not up to your specs =p

Ive been having issues with my router resetting randomly and I cant figure out why. I figured it was crappy power. Even with the line conditioner the router still reset. Even buying a new router I had the same issue. I guess my modem sucks or something, however I never see this turn off. The router actually reboots like a DOS was done to it or something.

I have a 1500 for my pc FYI.
We're just havin' a wee bit o' fun. ;) Sorry if it offended ya. And yeah, free is good!

Definitely go WALL --> LC --> UPS --> ROUTER + CABLE/DSL MODEM and see if that helps out at all.

Keep the fingers crossed and keep us posted.

Ill try that.. Last night I had it plugged in like:

wall==>UPS==>Line-R==> Router. It still reset at some point in the middle of the night.

Ill try the other way when I get home to see if it helps. Maybe I should try the "surge" protection on my UPS for the data line.. Does it cause any latency? I wonder if theres something else coming down the line thats causing this.

I guess I can plug the DSL modem into the UPS as well for kicks.. im sure it can handle the 2 devices.

Back