"Limited or No Connectivity" Problems..

Nihsnek

Limp Gawd
Hi,

Well..I'm stumped on something..

I have a PC across my house that connects to my Belkin repeater that gets the signal from my Belkin router. This setup has been working fine for several months...

Last night, the PC got the error: "Limited or No Connectivity" after trying to retrieve the IP from the router. I know this problem occurs when you have a protected network such as using WEP/WPA..but my network is completely unsecured and open. This is the IP address and subnet mask that it eventually gets: 169.254.0.16 ; 255.255.0.0 - These are not even close to the "normal" range..the connection strength hovers from good - very good.

Here comes the weird part: I put my laptop next to the far away PC. My laptop picked up the signal fine W/O ANY PROBLEMS...and so did the PC! When I moved my laptop away, the wireless went, once again, to "Limited or No Connectivity".

Very strange...I've never had this problem for 4-5 months..and all of a sudden(keep in mind, I made NO changes on my router/etc. these past weeks).

My laptop can pick up the connection fine all over my house..so I'm not sure what-the-heck it is...Any ideas???

One more thing: I restored my friend's HP Pavilion a320n with Win XP, restored the network drivers from factory, and it displays the same "Limited or No Connectivity" when plugged directly INTO the router!!! ...either way, it's extremely weird!!

I've tried restarting my router/dsl modem, computers, repeater, host computer, adapters, ipconfig /release/renew, applying Windows Patches, fixing TCP/IP problems, cleaning winsock, etc.. I've also restored my router settings back to "factory". I'm out of ideas...I've been at this for around 6 hours including searching.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions?

Fixed the wired problem..ethernet port was blown.

Any ideas on the wireless problem?

I can't help you with what your wireless problem, but I can tell you what "Limited or No Connectivity" means...

APIPA is a "technology" that Windows Workstations use. It allows them to randomly pick an IP address and assign it to the workstation if it does not receive one on boot up when it is configured to obtain an IP address automatically.

This is helpful if you have two or more computers attached to a network, switch, or crossover cable. This will allow the computers to talk to each other without worrying about IP configurations.

The message Limited or No Connectivity means that your workstation isn't getting an IP address.

If you are troubleshooting wireless, I would check the signal strength, and make sure you are configuring the right mode. It sounds like you got it to work in adhoc mode, which is where one machine connects to another machine. You might not be able to get that to work connecting to that access point/repeater/whatever it is -- it might need infrastructure mode.

PSP? Not sure what that stands for..

I'm pretty sure my wireless card is on Infrastructure mode..but I'll double check. Signal strength is 60%, mind you, it's been fine for 5-6 months now.

Back