Limited computer savy

KerryB

n00b
I am in the market for a new computer, I always purchased Dell because they had technical support coming to your house, to repair your computer if something went wrong. I have been lucky and I only needed help one time, with four computers. Now Dell seems to have more problems then before, anf I am looking at computers from Velocity Micro, Maingear, Puget and Alienware. Computers nowday are heavier then my last one (Dimension 8400 Pentium IV) how easy it is to send computers back if you have problems?
Does anybody have any experience with Alienware, I know it is part of Dell, but it is supposed to be better and it does offer home support. Please Help.

A lot of the smaller custom build companies offer home support as well...Velocity Micro and Puget both do, for sure. Now that I'm not "affiliated" I can officially say that I don't care for Alienware. If you'd rather buy a "big box" system, buy the Blackbird series from HP.

If support is an issue, and you are looking at the likes of Alienware/etc, look at Falcon Northwest as well. History of great customer support there, and while they don't have in-home service, they offer free overnight shipping to their repair center on all their high end models.

personally, I never thought I'd buy a Dell system - but my last 2 purchases (an XPS 435MT and 545s) I got from all places the Dell Outlet...both are running great and got them at a really great price.

That said, just like anything else that's mass produced sometimes you just hit a bad one... =(

Oh, I'll buy a Dell laptop in a heartbeat...but for gaming, I tend to look at people who emphasize that type of performance driven system.

Back