Limited Budget, But Want Massive Performance?

hmm, looks like it's time to requst a lock :D

but before that happens, let's have some fun. firstly, the fastest running bartons were spec'ed at 2.2ghz (3200+) and 1.65v. i had an old barton that could almost do 2.3ghz stable on stock voltage, but i had an asus board that overvolted like crazy, so that might explain it.
now.. let's say you indeed did get lucky, and you had that barton running at 3ghz and 1.65 (but for the sake of the argument, the mobo overvolts .05v :D )
with a handy dandy calculator and some quick guessing, i your processor was running between 100-110 watts. that heatsink you showed us before runs at about .18-.2ºC/watt, so 100 watts would mean about 50ºC over ambient. assuming you lived in a normal room, your amient should be around 22ºC (72ºF)
now since you have other things heating up the case temp like video card, and your case can't circulate air perfectly, the case temp will probably go above 25ºC, probably approaching 30-35ºC with the heat from the cpu. now add the two together.. and presto!
you now have a barton running at 80-85ºC!!
too bad heat generally degrades stability, even in mobile chips :D

now, let's have a mod lock this thread before other people like me decide to be annoying jerks

This thread is such BS only a couple of people over at xtremesystems have been able to get 3ghz on these mobiles and they were all using modified prommy's. The only possible way to hit 3ghz on air is if you were living on the north pole and the ambient temp was below 0c and you have some fat tornado pushing that air onto the chip. That overclocks.com or whatever is the biggest fake site on the net, i can go on there now and claim 4.5ghz on a mobile and without a shred of proof.

hmm.. i am now wondering how possible that is.. first of all 3 ghz is a 50% OC on that cpu.. and i can run my 2200+ 35 watter @ a 50% oc on air with no problems (2.5ghz) now that is at about 1.85v.. and 50c...

so anyways.. i think that if he pulled an unstable 3ghz oc out of his ass at 2.0v that it is possible he was doing it at 70-80c.. this wouldn't necessarly crash his computer.. even though far cry is a cpu intensive game, it isn't the same a running prime on it...

to put it a simpler way... lots of people are running those chips at 2.6 - 2.7 ghz on air at 45 - 55c.. so i am sure he could have pulled a 3.0 out of his ass and didn't know that the temps were through the roof...

now.. i am looking at this calculator http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html
and i can't see where you got that 100-110 watts from... the stock wattage is 45watts, and at 1.65v it adds.. 29watts.. and at 2.0v it adds.. about 43 watts.. that is only 90 watts.. which in conjuntion with that heatsink and a tornado would probably be more like the 70-75 degree range instead of 80-85...

so i think it is tottaly possible that he did that... but i would still have to see some screen shots to be certain.. and i still wouldn't be that impressed because it is probably at 2v, 70c, and unstable..

i think that combo is great. 4 months ago i went the nf2 / xp-m route.. but if i was buying today, i would go a64 / nf3..

and a 2.4ghz athlon64 would still pwn it, even if your overclock was real. They way you also wrote your first post sounded degrading, you shouldn't be preaching to the choir. We know more than you, really.

MRG said:
I have removed all pics from my posts, due to a warning I got.

Sorry Admins. :D

Needmorecarnitine,
Since you think i'm full of shit, please go & buy the setup I have listed on the first page of this post & test it for yourself. Until such time that you DO, please keep your immature & rude comments to yourself.

Thank you.

-MRG

alot of us think you are full of crap. first off, you need to back this up with proof, not i did it, i dont remember how, just believe me. thats not how you post an overclock that huge. most mobiles will not go that high and there are a few creme of the crop that will, but at 1.65v on air? yeah fuckin right. im sorry, but thats pushin it a little far. like i said, not all chips are created equal, and yours seems to be hte best they ever fabbed. TONS of people have an NF7-S with a Mobile and cant hit 3.0ghz. we need proof to believe these claims, cause frankly, it doesnt sound possible at all

also, this isnt best buy, we all know what a mobile XP is, and what they are capable of :rolleyes:

edit: and as for your THIS CPU IS UNLOCKED!! argument, so is my desktop 3000+. your point?

bountyhunter said:
nice OC, but I bet the woman detests the pc even more now after the tornado hit:D

lol - i had mine returned, so i know why she'd 'detest it'. now if he'd ad a raptor or two you'd have more whine to the vibrations ;)

as for 3GHz i vote highly unlikely, too. you sure about the settings?

This thread is funny. I have the exact same config, except I use the Zalman power HSF, and I can confirm that this thing is a beast, except I don't see any way he could have gotten it to 3 ghz, especially at such a low voltage. I am running 2.4 Ghz (200x12) at 1.65 and it won't go any higher unless I raise the voltage.

MRG said:
1)Why would I lie about how high I had the CPU overclocked to? It a MOBILE CPU. They are UNLOCKED, which in laymans terms, means they really don't know how high the CPU will go. (To a point of course) They tested it at 2.0ghz & so thats what AMD stamped it with.

I never called you a liar. I just wanted some screenies, as 3ghz on ANY XP based cpu is....extraordinary. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

2)I can totally understand why some of you are (in a nice way) calling me a lier. Because I was once one of you. I was TOTALLY in denial about this CPU being able to hit such insane speeds.

Screenies please.

3)Please take a close look at the pics I submitted about what I am using to cool the CPU with, or take a little time & look into them. Copper is a MUCH better heat spreader than is aluminum & the SP-97 is MASSIVE. It's not your average stock Heatsink. Also if you have ever HEARD the Tornado fan, then you will know that i'm not lying when I say that fan can BLOW.

I am familiar with that heatsink and fan...none the less, that is still an exceptional overclock claim even if the cooling was chilled water...

4)Please click on this link: CPU DATABASE & click on the AMD CPU's & enter in my CPU. Actually the list only goes to the "AMD Mobile AthlonXP 2500" which is clocked @ 1.80ghz & I have the 2600 model, which is clocked @ 2.0ghz. After you select my CPU (Scroll all the way down to the bottom) click on "Get the Goods" You think overclocking this CPU to 3.0ghz is high? Take a look at what it CAN be overclocked to. With both water AND air cooling.

I don't care what some screen sys, I could post text showing a 4ghz overclock if I wanted...screenies please?

5)I have nothing to prove. I don't care if you believe me or not that I overclocked my CPU that high. Now the next time I want to take the time & tweak my CPU up that high, i'll be more than glad to take screen shots & share them with you. It's not as easy as just switching it to 3.0ghz & thats it. I have to go back in & fiddle with my voltage & slowly raise my speed back up to the level I had it at. I honestly don't remember what my voltage was at.

The burden of proof IS on you, and I doubt many will believe you until you have some proof other than posting that it does 3ghz.

6)Please Keep in mind. A MOBILE CPU is different than a regular Athlon XP CPU.

I know this, a Mobile XP is nothung but a handpicked XP that is 1) multiplier unlocked and 2) runs on a lower voltage stock. Great chips they are yes...but nothing different in the architecture.

7)Thank you for your intrest in this post. If you have any questions i'll gladly try to answer them. Please just read all I have typed out first. :D

If you did run it at 3ghz, why would it have been so hard to take a screen cap? Unless of course it would not run long enough to take a pic, or maybe only the BIOS screen showed a post of 3ghz, then it crashed when trying to load windows...who knows. Please, I am not calling you a liar, but 3ghz is...extraordinary...and REQUIRES extraordinary PROOF.

MRG said:
1)Why would I lie about how high I had the CPU overclocked to? It a MOBILE CPU. They are UNLOCKED, which in laymans terms, means they really don't know how high the CPU will go. (To a point of course) They tested it at 2.0ghz & so thats what AMD stamped it with.

2)I can totally understand why some of you are (in a nice way) calling me a lier. Because I was once one of you. I was TOTALLY in denial about this CPU being able to hit such insane speeds.

3)Please take a close look at the pics I submitted about what I am using to cool the CPU with, or take a little time & look into them. Copper is a MUCH better heat spreader than is aluminum & the SP-97 is MASSIVE. It's not your average stock Heatsink. Also if you have ever HEARD the Tornado fan, then you will know that i'm not lying when I say that fan can BLOW. It has a higher volume of air than do House fans. It's also EXTREMELY loud. Thats why I have the Tornado hooked up to my Vantec Nexus Fan control unit. I have the Tornado running at HALF speed. Full speed & you can't hear yourself talk. Keep in mind that your little case fans or the fan on your Heatsink on your CPU is putting out about 25 - 50 CFM. The Tornado fan I have mounted to the SP-97 thats on my CPU blows @ 119 CFM. That 3 to 5 times more air than what a normal PC cooling fan blows.

4)Please click on this link: CPU DATABASE & click on the AMD CPU's & enter in my CPU. Actually the list only goes to the "AMD Mobile AthlonXP 2500" which is clocked @ 1.80ghz & I have the 2600 model, which is clocked @ 2.0ghz. After you select my CPU (Scroll all the way down to the bottom) click on "Get the Goods" You think overclocking this CPU to 3.0ghz is high? Take a look at what it CAN be overclocked to. With both water AND air cooling.

5)I have nothing to prove. I don't care if you believe me or not that I overclocked my CPU that high. Now the next time I want to take the time & tweak my CPU up that high, i'll be more than glad to take screen shots & share them with you. It's not as easy as just switching it to 3.0ghz & thats it. I have to go back in & fiddle with my voltage & slowly raise my speed back up to the level I had it at. I honestly don't remember what my voltage was at.

6)Please Keep in mind. A MOBILE CPU is different than a regular Athlon XP CPU.

7)Thank you for your intrest in this post. If you have any questions i'll gladly try to answer them. Please just read all I have typed out first. :D

-MRG

Got a futuremark link to verify the 3 Ghz?

TheLonelySwedish said:
You don't need LN2 to get a mobile to 3ghz, and it's not good policy to go around calling people liars. My friend runs his mobile at 3.1 24/7time on water, are you going to go out of your way to try and call bullshit on me too? Stop messing with people and say something constructive or move on.

Btw, very nice OC, did you do any mods to the mobo or and any extra cooling to system components (mosfets, etc)?

I did not call him a liar. You don't need LN2, but you DO indeed most likely, need more than ANY AIR COOLING to get an XP chip to 3ghz. Tell your friend to send screenies or something showing his 3.1ghz XP, you and him seem full of shit too.

This guy is making VERY extraordinary claims and needs to provide some PROOF. He "can't remember" the voltage he used...he "can't remember" the settings he used, hell, he can't even tell us what multiplier and FSB he used to do it with. In effect, he most likely is full of shit.

I can go post on the overclocker database that I got my XP2500 to 4ghz, whoopee, that does not mean it is true. His SAYING it does it and showing some factual data/pics/benches is something else entirely.

Until he can proff it, any serious or knowledgeable overclocker on this forum is going to call bull shit on him. End of matter.

I call bullshit, especially now that he "can't remember" anything about what he did...hell, if I got a Mobile XP to 3ghz I would call the freaking president...take pics...run benches....and post more pics. And don't say I don't know about overclocking at all, I previously had an XP 2400+ running at 2.4ghz...a 2.4C P4 running at 3ghz...a regular 2.4 P4 running at 2.8ghz, an athlon 1ghz running at 1.3, dual Duron 1.1's running at 1.4ghz each, an Athlon 2000+ running at 2ghz, and this rig, a 2ghz A64 running at 2.5ghz. I watercool, I know a fair amount about overclocking, I overclock every cpu I get, in fact, I buy a cpu based on me overclocking it, and I still call BS on this guy.

TheRapture said:
I did not call him a liar. You don't need LN2, but you DO indeed most likely, need more than ANY AIR COOLING to get an XP chip to 3ghz. Tell your friend to send screenies or something showing his 3.1ghz XP, you and him seem full of shit too.

This guy is making VERY extraordinary claims and needs to provide some PROOF. (...)
Until he can proff it, any serious or knowledgeable overclocker on this forum is going to call bull shit on him. End of matter.

i'm with you on this one, rapture. threads like this surface from time to time, and i still see no reason whatsoever for why ppl should want to dribble shit over pages and pages instead of simply pressing the print-button and posta screenshot. heck, it'd take less time than any of the elusive replies...

i'll never buy that... surely one doesn't have to proof anything, but you HAVE to if you want to be believed. therapture argued well, didn't call him a liar, did make his point clear. one more reply without screenshot and i'll unsubscribe from this thread convinced it was just another BS-claim.

If 3Ghz to him wasn't a big deal enough to take a screenshot of it, then it certainly wouldn't be a big enough deal for him to post a thread about it. Period.

Hello, personally, after reading everything, I'd have to say that 3 gigz on a mobile chip is possible, however, I don't think HE achieved it. I mean, he doesn't even mention what ram he has, he doesn't know voltages, he doesn't have proof.

Since his first argument was: other people did it, I have a feeling that he just went on cpudatabase and looked at the overclocks... and then thought his overclock would be widely accepted. Apparently, since he's new here, he doesn't realize that most of us know a hell of a lot on computers and we know what's possible or not, and what's required.

Reminds me of civic kids that put on an aftermarket exhaust system and change the air filter they got from Canadian Tire, and then they say they run a 13 second quarter mile... but they'll never go to the track.

I won't call him a liar because I have NO PROOF, but at the same time, I won't personally won't believe what he's saying. To get an XP chip to 3 gigs, you need to know what you're doing, and he didn't really seem to know.

Maybe he doesnt realize that about 85%+ of the people on these forums obviously are on these forums cause they know their S%$@ and they Like computer stuff enough to do lots of researching and testing of their own and All of these that frequent the boards are way more than capable of OCing systems and have had experience with computers for a looooonnnggg time if they didnt then what the heck would we talk about in the forums? :confused: hence why this would be more of an enthusiasts computer forums and not the average joe's forum like "oh i went to BB and saw the best Dell ever" (not knockin on dells but average non informed people usually buy prebuilt PCs with intel extreme graphics :eek: ) when most of us *usually* will build (or buy out of lazyness) their own PC .....(side note the other 15% or so [H]forum readers had to of come with the [H] vs FM thing :rolleyes: )

Anyway i call BS on 3.0Ghz too (ok he has a tornado but did he say somewhere he had it on a fan controller or something then even more impossible if he is turning the fan speed down unless he keeps at full blast all the time or something even then tho.... ) :D screenies plz

{think you guys scared em away /looks around to see who dunnit }

etjr said:
Maybe he doesnt realize that about 85%+ of the people on these forums obviously are on these forums cause they know their S%$@

let me quote joecuddles on this: "This is HardOCP, not Walmart." :D

He's disappeared, and we still don't have screenshots. 3000MHz on any Barton is insane. If he hit 2500MHz, then perhaps he'd be legit. Anyhow, you'd be out of your mind to run a Tornado at full speed, with your rig right beside you.

Back