Lightweight firewall for XP

4ort

Weaksauce
I run Windows 7 as my main OS. However, I still keep an installation of XP on a small 30 GB partition which I boot up every now and then to play an older game or run some old software.

I would like to isolate the XP installation from the internet, and only allow it access to computers on the local network. The Windows XP firewall is not versatile enough to do something like this, so I am wondering: is there a lightweight, free firewall that would allow such configuration (limit traffic only to local subnet) without coming bundled with additional bloatware which I don't need?

Thanks

Do you have a proper hardware firewall? Could be done pretty easily if so and you wouldn't need to install anything on the XP box.

Do you have a proper hardware firewall? Could be done pretty easily if so and you wouldn't need to install anything on the XP box.

No, just the modem/router which does have a firewall but isn't very configurable and can't do something like that.

Static ip and no default gatway

:D

If it's behind a NAT firewall it should be fine without a software firewall. At least provided you don't get an infection through some web drive by or something but a software firewall or even AV wont stop that. (not sure why AV's don't catch those). Make sure to use a decent browser like Firefox or Chrome and keep it up to date.

Static ip and no default gatway

The XP installation is really only for playing older games and such and will be used maybe a few hours a week, it doesn't need internet access. But the PS2 in the other room runs games from my hard drive via SMB so I still need network access.

Your solution seems to work fine thus far. The PS2 can still access the files but the XP installation cannot ping google or visit any websites, so that seems to work just as I intended.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ah, yeah, I have a few apps that just flat out refuse to run regardless of compatibility mode, one game will report that it cannot find a graphics adapter, hah (this happens on all x64 operating systems).

Though, I haven't tried XP mode. I might do that.

In all honesty I'm probably going to continue running a dual boot because the hardware is about 6 years old and still has XP drivers. I suppose once I upgrade that will no longer be an option so I'll have to figure out a different solution to running these dinosaurs.

Back