Lightning Strikes Reported by IPod Users

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know this story about iPod users being struck by lightning is blaming the device itself but I have a different theory…maybe God just isn’t an Apple fan. :D

Listen to an iPod during a storm and you may get more than electrifying tunes. A Canadian jogger suffered wishbone-shaped chest and neck burns, ruptured eardrums and a broken jaw when lightning traveled through his music player's wires.

It's been a documented fact that lightning follows water pipes, phone lines, electrical circuits, and all other manners of paths. Given that, if you are holding electronic implements to your head during a storm, there's no damn way I'm gonna feel sorry for ya.

It's been a documented fact that lightning follows water pipes, phone lines, electrical circuits, and all other manners of paths. Given that, if you are holding electronic implements to your head during a storm, there's no damn way I'm gonna feel sorry for ya.

Exactly what he said, this is the equivalent of holding a 10 metal pole up in the air and walking around with it during a thunder storm. :eek:

I think that guy almost qualifies for a Darwin award:

anyone knows not to run during a thunderstorm (only reason our XC races were ever cancelled) and running through a thunderstorm wearing an antenna is even more stupid.

*sarc on* BUT BUT BUT.... the earbuds only have a tiny metal wire in them, how could they attract lightning. *sarc off*

What an idiot. Maybe Ipod users just represent the dumber side of the population.

I'm sure Steve Jobs would like to think he's God, therefore it would be possible to sue God... :p

Exactly what he said, this is the equivalent of holding a 10 metal pole up in the air and walking around with it during a thunder storm. :eek:

Actually, this is right from the article:
"Contrary to some urban legends and media reports, electronic devices don't attract lightning the way a tall tree or a lightning rod does.

"It's going to hit where it's going to hit, but once it contacts metal, the metal conducts the electricity," said Dr. Mary Ann Cooper of the American College of Emergency Physicians and an ER doctor at University of Illinois Medical Center at Chicago."

The headphones/ipods/etc don't attract the lightning, it just provides a path all over your body when you're struck. Also note the guy/witnesses say it wasn't raining/storming when he got struck. Quote: "Lightning strikes can occur even if a storm is many miles away"

Even his ruptured eardrums can't be blamed on the headphones because like the end of the article says that actually happens to up to 50% of lightning victims, headphones or no.

Seriously... God doesn't chose between Apple and Microsoft due to His tastes... He simply goes for the highest bidder.... Just goes to show you, even Bill Gates can buy even God's favor....

When lightning jumps from a nearby object to a person, it often flashes over the skin. But metal in electronic devices _ or metal jewelry or coins in a pocket _ can cause contact burns and exacerbate the damage.

IMO if you get hit by lighting you've already been exacerbated. :D

I've seen this happen a couple of times. Somebody was sitting on an aluminum cot when lightning hit the ground a hundred(-ish?) feet away and got the back of their legs burned. Their feet were on the ground. (I was laying on mine and didn't feel a thing.)

Another guy was holding an M-16 and got his hands burned--there were five or six of us standing in 6" of water and he was the only victim.

Electricy can do some wierd shit.

I am going to sue the coat hanger factories too.... every damn time I runoutside with a coathanger during a thunderstorm I get struck!! WTF is that all about??!

lol.... seriously. This guy can't be serious?

God must not be a fan of the church either.

Oceanstorm's best friend lives in Baltimore and supposedly, after the steeple had caught on fire, something in it exploded, went straight up, flipped, and then came back down through the church. WTF? :eek: However, before the explosion, NOBODY inside knew that it was on fire. :eek:

Oceanstorm's best friend lives in Baltimore and supposedly, after the steeple had caught on fire, something in it exploded, went straight up, flipped, and then came back down through the church. WTF? :eek: However, before the explosion, NOBODY inside knew that it was on fire. :eek:

lol. You just hear a loud bang and go on with your services... fire is hard to hear. I remember that our house a long time ago got hit several occasions by lightning. The only way we knew was when there were a few missing bricks in the wall or a brick jumps off and falls on the roof, lol

This sounds like a good use of the phone software that was posted about a few months ago that detected lightning strikes.

They can start putting it into iPods also to have it tell you to put your iPod away and seek cover.

IMO if you get hit by lighting you've already been exacerbated. :D

I've seen this happen a couple of times. Somebody was sitting on an aluminum cot when lightning hit the ground a hundred(-ish?) feet away and got the back of their legs burned. Their feet were on the ground. (I was laying on mine and didn't feel a thing.)

Another guy was holding an M-16 and got his hands burned--there were five or six of us standing in 6" of water and he was the only victim.

Electricy can do some wierd shit.

I love to excaerbate! Seriously, anyone with common sense would know to seek shelter during a thunderstorm!

You know those aliens in Star Trek with the blue skin and the antennae? I bet they REALLY hate being out in thunderstorms while visiting Earth.

You know those aliens in Star Trek with the blue skin and the antennae? I bet they REALLY hate being out in thunderstorms while visiting Earth.

I don't think Andorians have metal in their antennae. :confused:

Damn. Another Darwin candidate didn't quite make the the cut. :(

Back