Lightning strike :-(

Robotics Guy

Weaksauce
Usually when there's a storm I unplug all of my electronics, but yesterday we had some light rain and not thinking it was necessary, I didn't. So, naturally, there was a lightning strike near my house :(

A bunch of GFCI outlets in my house tripped, I heard a very loud crackle/sparking/popping noise in the headphones I was wearing that were hooked up to my desktop (I'm seriously hoping that my desktop isn't damaged since I just built it last fall, but the loud pop I heard in my headphones makes me a little concerned..), my modem and router stopped working, and the ethernet port on my laptop (which was plugged into the router along with my desktop) is no longer detected by windows.

Long story short, Comcast replaced my cable modem free of charge and ASUS said they'll try to repair my RT-N66U for $15 bucks plus shipping. Don't what I'll do about the laptop ethernet port, but thankfully my desktop ethernet port is still working.

Damn you, lightning.

Invest in some good surge protectors. I have several. 2 Panamax units for my HT setups, the rest a bunch of APC units for other electronics. Also a nice battery backup for the PC.

Been about 5 years, never unplug anything in storms, no problems.

I don't know if it's possible or not, but I was thinking the surge might have come over the cable line, because my current setup for power is this:

Code:
Wall outlet -> Power strip -> Lamp
                           -> Scanner
                           -> CyberPower UPS -> LCD monitor
                                             -> LCD monitor
                                             -> Computer PS
                                             -> Power strip -> LCD monitor
                                                            -> Security camera
                                                            -> Power strip      -> Modem
                                                                                -> Router
                                                                                -> VoIP box
                                                                                -> Phone base station

So the modem and router were behind three power strips (with surge protectors) and a UPS.

I know for a fact that it can come over the cable lines. My grandparents have a habit of unplugging their computers when done using them everytime... lightning struck a couple of years ago took out modem, WAN port on Linksys router, and NIC on the computer that was connected. Most cable companies don't like for you connect your coax up to a surge protector as it often adds noise and reduces your signal but it is still a good idea.

Yep, it sure will come through cable. Nasty stuff man.

I have my cable lines on a surge protector, as well as my splitter is grounded, which helps a ton.

Back