Lightning strike killed my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobC1983

2[H]4U
A lightning strike killed the PC in my signature, a flatscreen and one of my 3 U3011s. As well as a couple other things around my house (garage door and sprinkler system, bluray player and my onkyo receiver). --looks like the TV is going to be fixed and my receiver is going back to onkyo to be fixed. The U3011 got the display port fried, so I can just use another input for the time being.

So, I have to get some pieces to rebuild my computer - I don't have any parts to test with, so I basically have to buy pieces and try them, and then see what works?

I am basically certain my Titan is fried.

What else do you think is?

I was thinking I should get a new PSU - was thinking a Corsair AX1200i

Then a EVGA Z97 FTW and 4790k

Hoping my ram and SSDs and WD caviar blacks are ok, but I just don't know.

Would you just buy a whole new setup? If so, what would you get? I have been out of the PC building game for quite a bit, and don't game as much as I used to, but I like having a good PC when those good games come across.

Money isn't much of an issue, but I have to replace a lot of other things around the house - looks like if I build a "reasonable" PC I would not have to file an insurance claim.

Last edited:
Do you have any surge protectors or uninterruptible power supplies (or UPSes)? If not, they would be the first things you should buy.

Second, how heavy of an overclock were you planning on performing?

Everything was plugged into surge protector/battery backups from APC.

The surges went through the home wired cat6

No overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back