Lightning protection regarding cable modem

IvanNCase

n00b
So I've started to build up a pretty nice server setup and I've got everything protected on the power outlet side through my UPS but I'm concerned about getting hit by a lightning strike through the cable modem eg, Coax outside->Modem->Firewall(pfsense on server)->Switch->Everything on network.

I'm looking at a few options and figured I'd get some opinions and would like to know how others have thier networks setup for lightning protection. My setup right now is the cable coming right to my motorola sb6141 no splitter, then Cat5 to a port on one of my servers running pfsense then out of a different port to my main switch. All of my equipment including the modem is right now in the same rack in the basement about 6' from where the cable comes in.

Options

1: Grounding the coax with a TII 212 Link which if I understand correctly I shouldn't install inside but outside.

2: Running the coax through a surge protector. I'm not sure of the quality of some of the coax surge protectors built into power strips or UPS's so I'd be looking at something trustworthy that just does the one job.

3: Running the cat5 between the modem and the firewall through a surge protector. Just like the coax surge protector I don't trust the power strip ones. If I go this route or #4 I'd still look at #1 or #2 to protect the modem as well

4: (What I'm currently leaning towards)Two media converters to run fiber beween the modem and the firewall. If I go this route the path is completely cut off for a strike to come in through the network but I am concerned about it hitting the modem and then through the modems power cord->PDU->a server. So I'm thinking if I go this route I would want to take the modem out of the rack and make a shelf for it and one of the media converters right where the cable come in. The downside to not having the modem powered from the pdu's in the rack is that if the power goes out everything in the rack will be on a UPS but I wont have internet access, not that I'd be doing a lot with it but it would be nice to not have the internet cut out if the power is only out for like five to ten minutes and I would like to set up the UPS software to email me.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I personally run my lightning on a different circuit for this very reason.

Seriously though, try the couple of ethernet to optical media converters option, with a length of LC-LC fiber between your Cable Modem and your firewall.

The length of fiber required is determined by plotting your level of OCD on the 'Y' axis of a graph against the likelihood of a lightening strike sufficiently close to your home to cause such damage on the 'X' axis.

:);)

If your coax connection is properly installed from your Cable Company, the cable line coming in from the tap should be bonded and grounded at the point of entry before it gets distributed to your cable equipment which should protect against a lightning strike. The connection should look like an inline splitter aka grounding block which will have a cable connecting to a designated grounding point such as a ground rod, grounded electrical panel etc. If you must connect it to a surge suppressor you want to make sure that it allows bi-directional communication and that the cable modem is connected off the first splitter entering your premises to ensure that there is little signal loss.

FH15APR_COAXAL_11.jpg

Thanks guys for the advice. I'll double check for a grounding block outside and if there isn't one I'll install that one. I'm looking into a pair of media converters, does anybody have any advice on a good brand or what I should avoid?

I personally run my lightning on a different circuit for this very reason.

Seriously though, try the couple of ethernet to optical media converters option, with a length of LC-LC fiber between your Cable Modem and your firewall.

The length of fiber required is determined by plotting your level of OCD on the 'Y' axis of a graph against the likelihood of a lightening strike sufficiently close to your home to cause such damage on the 'X' axis.

:);)

yep I do this for long wireless shots also

Thanks guys for the advice. I'll double check for a grounding block outside and if there isn't one I'll install that one. I'm looking into a pair of media converters, does anybody have any advice on a good brand or what I should avoid?

If your connection is not grounded/bonded, I would recommend calling your Cable Co so that they can do that so that you know it is done according to their specific codes and local regulations.

Just checked and the coax grounding block is hooked up to a lug on the top of the main meter coming into the house, I'm assuming that's normal. The main panel inside is grounded to the copper plumbing coming in through the basement. I checked a couple outlets with one of those outlet testers that you just plug in and the lights showed everything was alright.

If your coax connection is properly installed from your Cable Company, the cable line coming in from the tap should be bonded and grounded at the point of entry before it gets distributed to your cable equipment which should protect against a lightning strike. The connection should look like an inline splitter aka grounding block which will have a cable connecting to a designated grounding point such as a ground rod, grounded electrical panel etc. If you must connect it to a surge suppressor you want to make sure that it allows bi-directional communication and that the cable modem is connected off the first splitter entering your premises to ensure that there is little signal loss.

FH15APR_COAXAL_11.jpg

All of the installs in my area use a box on the side of the house and the box always has a ground wire clamped on the house grounding wire. Same concept, I doubt a lot of people have all the wiring just sitting on the side of the house like that.

All of the installs in my area use a box on the side of the house and the box always has a ground wire clamped on the house grounding wire. Same concept, I doubt a lot of people have all the wiring just sitting on the side of the house like that.
I work for a local Cable Co in New York. IN most cases the connections are wired similar to that but they are near the outdoor electrical meter as the grounding wire has to be a certain length without too many bends. That is why I suggested to have the Cable Co come out and verify the install as they would know the local codes better.

10 gauge is way to little, minimum of 2 gauge (AWG) would do the job, this is what we use in the EU and for all other material that are sent to the US to.

for the more heavy installations, we use solid copper piping.

Back