Lighting up a hotel.

sethmo

2[H]4U
My dad owns a small hotel and wants to light the whole thing up wirelessly. I am not sure which would be the best way to light it up(see diagram). We are using Linksys WRT54g wireless routers with the +7dbi antennas and have flashed the firmware to use the Sveasoft Alchemy firmware. With that we boosted the signal power up to 100-150 to give more power to the antennas. When the router is at the #4 location it pretty much lights up the whole center section and most of the front section. The rear section it will get signal to about the #5 location and drop. What do you guys think the best way to light it up would be? I think the best location for the cable modem would be in #4 since that is the center most point. We also have 2 +18dbi directional antennas which were given to us(similar to this Netgear antenna). Would there be any use in using these? They should be able to transmit and recieve signal? I know that if we could use them, maybe one at #5 and one at #4 we would have a problem with signal? Maybe Im in over my head but I just am not sure whats the best way to light up the rear section. ANY input is much appriciated. Thanks!

Sorry, the entire section is probably about 400ft by 150ft or so guesstimating.

if I were you I would also try to cover the pool area, if i was staying there I would find it kinda nice to sit out by the pool and work on a project :)

Yah the pool is covered if we set the router up in the #4 spot. I was thinking maybe setting up another Linksys wrt54g in #5 and somehow try to use t hose +18dbi antennas to shoot to #4? Maybe have 2 routers in the #4 spot, one using the directional and one using just the normal Linksys +7dbi antennas to cover the front half?

Just a couple things....

first, 18dBi directionals are going to be far too much gain. You will end up making free internet access far more widely avaliable than you'd probably like it.

second, have you thought about security (including security between wireless clients) as well as legal liability should someone use the connection for illegal means?

Just something to think about if you havent already.

If you have ~150 to spend:

Put your WRT54G at #4, then buy 2 cheap routers and turn off DHCP and use them only as access points. Then run cat5e or cat6 to locations 1 and 5 and put a AP at each.

Should give you good coverage.

http://www.unityelectronics.com/product-product_id/1120

I use the b version of this router and its worked great for me. Can't beat $25.

For security, I would have the guests bring their device to the main office and only allow their MAC address.

Either wire to additional AP's or since it's just for internet usage then you could use repeaters as well.

Oh, the only other input I'd have is, could you use the phrase "light it up" a few more times? Another 15-20 times would put you just about right.

ktwebb said:
Oh, the only other input I'd have is, could you use the phrase "light it up" a few more times? Another 15-20 times would put you just about right.

HaHa

For security, I would have the guests bring their device to the main office and only allow their MAC address.

Easy to hack but it'll keep the n00b's off.

Back