Lighting Help

TeeJay88

Limp Gawd
Do to my paranoia, Ive removed my purple cold cathode lights from my pc. i did this do to known fires. I had crafted a plexi glass drive bay, with a center mesh with a fan blowing cool air over them. But i felt that this wasnt enough. so i add some length to the wires of the cold cathode. now its half lit and dim. so my question is. does anyone know of some good purple lighting, im thinking led stripes.

Oh yeah i added the length to the cc tube to keep the inverter out of my case

The wires you've extended are the high voltage, output wires.

Seemingly minimal wire resistance, at low voltages; become great resistors at high voltage.

The output of the typical inverter is about 1500Vac at about 5mA... the current directly effects the brightness, and by adding length to the wires you have effectively added current limiting to the ccfl.

not to mention the arcing and fire hazard that you have created if the wire that was used to extend the length wasn't high voltage wire. The insulation on standard hook-up wire is typically only able to withstand 600V and this too my be why the ccfl is lower in luminance (loss of energy through the insulation).

I support your idea to go with LED, if for no other reason than safety.

Back