Lightest anti-virus

Lyric Suite

Limp Gawd
Since my other thread didn't get anywhere. Lets just say i'm looking for the lightest possible anti-virus that's still as effective as can be expected. Possible candidates include Microsoft Essentials (which didn't work out for me, but its still an option), NOD32 and the new Vipre anti-virus. The Vipre was the lightest i tried and the scanning speeds were absurd. It too me 11 hours to scan my computer using Panda Cloud but Vipre only did it in four. Not sure if this focus on speed comes at the expense of performance, but right now i'm very tempted to buy a license for this one.

I use NOD32 on my beast of a PC (core i7), it never interferes with anything as far as I can tell. MSE is smaller for sure.

Eset had a history of "lightness"...back in the 2.x version days. Got heavier and heavier with progressive versions.

Honestly....one of, if not THE, lightest out there now....Symantec. Yup, I said it. I don't use it or sell it to my clients, but 2 years ago...after getting tired of the "bloated" reputation, Symantec totally did a ground up re-write of their code. Their antivirus client last year weighed in at under 8 megs...yup...8 megs.

Vipre is gaining grounds in the US...since it's bundled with one of the managed platforums...N-Able or Kaseya..I forget. But I've not seen it included at AV-Comparatives yet...hopefully they will soon. I've seen systems with it...doesn't seem to slow them down, but I don't know the effectiveness of it.

AntiVir is pretty light on systems...good detection, a bit finicky with false positives.

I love MSE, but I consider it middle/average in system impact....not heavy, but not the lightest either.

I don't worry about scan speeds at all...I don't care if they take 1 hour or 6 hours....antivirus is about real time file protection. Want the added comfort of seeing results of manual scans....run them when you're away from the PC or sleeping.

I don't worry about scan speeds at all...I don't care if they take 1 hour or 6 hours....antivirus is about real time file protection. Want the added comfort of seeing results of manual scans....run them when you're away from the PC or sleeping.

I don't care about manual scans either but the Vipre was so damn quick i had to report it.

ESET is only heavy if you get the full protection package, which no one really needs.

The AV/SW module only is still as light and nimble as it's ever been.

The AV/SW module only is still as light and nimble as it's ever been.

As an Eset reseller and installer of their products on a few thousand machines...I can't agree. Been doing it since version 2.5. 2.5 and 2.7 were very light, if I recall, about 24 megs in weight total. Right now, installing the latest version on a brand new laptop, version 4.2.67.10 of NOD32 is around 62 megs.

Ever since version 3 came out....clients that I upgraded from 2.7 complained of it it slowing down.

Granted just about all AV products have become heavier, out of necessity with todays threats. But Eset ain't the light product it was famous for.

Well, it's still totally invisible to me unlike other products I've used. I'm still happy with it :)

Look at vipre the enterprise one has been around 6 megs and at most.30 during deep scan

Back