LightBoost works on ATI now

Between this and the new drivers at the end of the month, I may need to get a hold of a BenQ at some point and see what all the fuss is about...

i just got a new benq, 27 inch VA, i dont think its 120 though, ill have to look into it..

Can honestly say I do notice a small diffrence going from 60 to 120-144Hz. But in no way does it have any effect what-so-ever on gameplay in any game Ive tried. In reviews they're always saying they're getting called hackers when using 120Hz monitors, but to be honest I think theyre all full of it.

Can honestly say I do notice a small diffrence going from 60 to 120-144Hz. But in no way does it have any effect what-so-ever on gameplay in any game Ive tried. In reviews they're always saying they're getting called hackers when using 120Hz monitors, but to be honest I think theyre all full of it.

Agree. The only difference it made for me was smoothness.

120Hz does reduce input lag relative to 60Hz, even at the same framerate, so that can still give you an advantage. Also it reduces motion blur so it makes tracking eyes on moving objects much easier.
-- People who stare at the crosshairs only, will benefit less from 120Hz. Some pro game players do this, actually.
-- People who track eyes all over the place, on moving objects, as they pan across, will benefit greatly from 120Hz (and LightBoost).

You do need high framerates (e.g. 120fps@120Hz) or you don't benefit as much from a 120Hz monitor.

Last edited:
what the hell is lightboost?
It practically eliminates visible motion blur, as well as eliminate crosstalk between refreshes (eliminates ghosting between refreshes; good for both 2D and 3D use). Most LightBoost users now use it for 2D nowadays. LightBoost is an nVidia developed strobe backlight technology (YouTube high speed video) that is licensed to monitor manufacturers (note: Blur Busters only tested Strobelight on nVidia products -- That said, ToastyX made Strobelight also work on AMD products).

60 Hz Refresh rate:

120 Hz Refresh rate:
... 50% less motion blur than 60Hz

120 Hz LightBoost:
... ~90% less motion blur than 60Hz

LightBoost allows the monitor have the motion clarity of a 120Hz CRT (media coverage -- AnandTech, ArsTechnica, TFTCentral, etc). You do need framerates matching refresh rates (120fps @ 120Hz) to get the LightBoost zero motion blur effect, it doesn't work well at 60fps@120Hz.

(From Photos: 60Hz vs 120Hz vs LightBoost])

Last edited:
It's crazy that they can get the back light to strobe that quickly.

It's crazy that they can get the back light to strobe that quickly.

If it's LEDs they're using, they have no strike or dip voltage. They can turn on and off as quickly as you can shoot electricity through them.

Hmmm I'll give this a try once my QNIX gets here, hopefully I can overclock it to 120Hz without any side effects

Hmmm I'll give this a try once my QNIX gets here, hopefully I can overclock it to 120Hz without any side effects

The monitor needs Lightboost. Your Qnix may give you 120Hz, but doesn't have the LB tech inside. I believe that's limited to ASUS and BenQ at this point.

Just so you don't spend too much time on that.

You do realize that were talking about less than 10ms of input lag? Average reaction time for normal ppl is 190-200ms.

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/index.php

It's not strictly about reaction time, but the delay when moving your mouse/view. When you look around in an FPS game, you can definitely tell the difference between your view lagging 16ms behind your mouse movements, vs. 8ms behind. 120hz makes the camera view feel more like an extension of your hand, rather than just "guiding" the view around. (This is especially noticeable with Vsync enabled, which is why I can't stand it).

As for lightboost: while my 120Hz monitor (Samsung S23A700D) doesn't officially support it, it has a built in mode that does the same thing. From my experience, the cons outweigh the pros. It definitely does eliminate blur (like in the PixPerAn moving text blur test), but the strobing gave me a headache after a while, it causes occasional flickering screen artifacts, and it severely blue-shifts all the colors, though I might be able to fix that if I messed around with the color settings some more. Some of that might just be Samsung's implementation of LightBoost, but others with proper LightBoost monitors have reported similar things.

If you have a lightboost-capable monitor, it's definitely worth trying out at least. I'm just happy with a stock 120Hz monitor for the visual smoothness and input lag reduction - I could never go back to a 60Hz monitor.

I have to say that I'm not all that impressed with Lightboost. I finally got my CFX 7970s and have been running games at 100-120 fps. I can definitely tell a difference between 60hz and 120-144hz but I don't feel it's as life changing as some seem to. It's "smoother" but I definitely miss the colors from my IPS Monitors. However, I haven't tried an FPS on it yet so I guess that will be the true test.

As for 120hz Lightboost, it made my screen darker and completely washed out all the colors. I didn't notice much of a difference between it and the normal 120-144hz. I agree 100% that the cons outweigh the pros for this particular technology.

Back