Life Reduction Question

stelleg151

Limp Gawd
I have been told that increasing voltage on a cpu is what causes the lifetime to dwindle. I am wondering if the same holds true for video cards, and if overclocking without increasing voltage will decrease life. I want a card that will perform at its best and last for a while.

Any increase of heat on any silicon component will shorten the life so if you want to keep it for a long time, just don't overclock or try to get a better cooler to ensure heat is kept as same or below stock temps.

Generally, if you overclock you won't be keeping that CPU when it gets old...a shortened CPU lifespan can mean from 20 years to 7 years.

I know that I won't want to be running my Athlon in year 2012, so I overclock the snot out of it.

Same for video cards.

stelleg151 said:
I have been told that increasing voltage on a cpu is what causes the lifetime to dwindle. I am wondering if the same holds true for video cards, and if overclocking without increasing voltage will decrease life. I want a card that will perform at its best and last for a while.
You probably won't get very far overclocking without a voltage increase...but you can do it. Its probably the safest way to overclock a CPU.

I don't think that would affect the lifespan of the chip.

Processors-- wether they be in video cards, or computers use transistors... millions of them which run off a certain nominal voltage.

More current = higher tempature = could and if not in the case of many P4 systems decrease lifetime of the CPU, you just accept this and move on when overclocking.

Worrying about lifespan of your chip while ocing is for the n00b's

i am doing a 900+ Mhz oc on my moble and voltage is at 2.1V

my temps are idle 92F and 98F full load.

also i am not going to keep any chip past 1 year anyways.
i oc the chip then when i upgrade it gets moved down to another machine that needs the upgrade. and usaully runs stock.

all my chips, boards, ram, vid cards get oced outa the box right away :D
and my friends call me the definition of overkill :D

[RIP]Zeus said:
all my chips, boards, ram, vid cards get oced outa the box right away :D

and my friends call me the definition of overkill :D

nah, that just means you're [H]ard ;)

Lots of you seem to only referring to processors only, but as I am going to be ocing the whole video card I am curious if there are any serious side effects on the RAM without voltage increase. Also, anyone know any good third party coolers for 6600gt?

Brent_Justice said:
nah, that just means you're [H]ard ;)

Why thank you :p

also as of yesterday i just got my AV8 board and my new A64 3200+ winchester core chip...
just waiting on the new water block and here i go....weeeeeee :D

KingPariah777 said:
You probably won't get very far overclocking without a voltage increase...but you can do it. Its probably the safest way to overclock a CPU.

I don't think that would affect the lifespan of the chip.

I took my 2.4c to 3.4 with no voltage increase on the cpu (at 1.525 vcore, which is stock) although I did have to up the memory voltage.

Rogue4mula said:
I took my 2.4c to 3.4 with no voltage increase on the cpu (at 1.525 vcore, which is stock) although I did have to up the memory voltage.
and i got my brother's 2500+ at 2.2 ghz stable with no voltage increase...but its still rare...

my 2500+ can't overclock very much at all without pumping some heat through it...

Back