LianLi PC A79B and IcyDock?

mikeblas

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006
I'm thinking about the Lian Li PC-A79B case for my next build. I need a ton of storage, and like using IcyDock drive cages to get five 3.5-inch drives into three 5.25-inch bays.

It's not clear to me, from the reviews I've seen of this case, if I can use the IcyDock cages. The case has 12 drive bays up front. The top three use a tool-less retention system. Is that compatible with the IcyDock cage? It looks like there are also tabs in the top three bays that would prevent fitting the IcyDock cage across the three openings.

The bottom nine openings seem like they don't have tabs, and have regular screw holes -- no tool-less tomfoolery. But all of the bays have fans on them. Are the fans removable, and the drives mountable os that the IcyDock bays protrude through the front of the case correctly?

I found a review on Toms that says "[the fans] can be adjusted so they're either towards the front of the case or behind the cage", which seems to say they're movable to the back of the cages, but not that they're removable altogether.

Anyone have hands-on experience with this case that can help me figure out if the IcyDock bays are compatible?

Back