Lian Li's SFF cases from CES 2012

Necere

2[H]4U
These are just the SFF cases, I posted the rest here. Pics are from here.

PC-Q12 (Mini-ITX, no expansion slots)

PC-Q09FN (HTPC; variation of the PC-Q09F)

PC-Q15 (Mini-ITX, 1 expansion slot)

PC-Q18 (seems to be a slightly more compact PC-Q08)

Added: PC-Q05 thin-ITX

Last edited:
Pretty fugly if you ask me.

Hard to tell from the photos posted however I'm sure it's more of the same lateral upgrades and improvements I've come to expect from Lian Li.

The slimFF seems pretty neat though.

Slim one would be nice for Home Theater use. Other than that I think they botched this one pretty good. No one will be using a single-slot GPU on one of those cases by choice. Maybe if you water-cooled a GPU to go into the case, but even then the Sugo series, and the q-11 / 08 from Lian that are already in production are much better SFF cases. I would have liked to see one similar to the Sugo series, but made by Lian Li.

*Edited for grammar fails*

I can't tell from the pictures, but is the PC-Q15 supposed to be like Lian Li's version of the SG05/SG06, but with only a single slot GPU? Is that a tray for a full-size optical drive? And what about CPU cooler clearance -- it looks like there is a lot of stuff hanging above the motherboard.

The Q15 looks like an improved SG05 but they ballsed up with the wheels which look **** and make the mobo tray too long for an H60 and the single expansion slot.

Other than that it is great!

Easy to remove HDD
More cooler clearance
A full 5.25 bay (not for ODD but a nice place to put your HDD when you mod in an H60)
Muuuuuch better build quality.
All aluminium and sexy looking (as opposed to Silverstone's tacky plastic and steel).

The Q18 is new case and it doesnt have 5,25 bezel? If the HDD cage below the ODD is removable it makes great options.
All standard components without sacrifice.
The problems
Q18 with ITX MB and H80 cooling and GFX with cooling like Accelero Extreme II then there is no place for HDD?

I would also like to see them make a case like SUGO.

Also, how does the side panel closing work? DO you have to use your fingernails to lift and detach the panel?

To me they seem kinda, meh. Maybe it is just me though.

Also, how does the side panel closing work? DO you have to use your fingernails to lift and detach the panel?

If you look closely at the side panel on the PC-Q12 you can see it has a tab at the edge. The other cases have a similar tab as can be seen in techpowerup's gallery.

To me they seem kinda, meh. Maybe it is just me though.

Pretty much agree, nothing really exciting this year. Kind of too bad they never put either of these into production (from Computex '09):

img6190.jpg

img6195y.jpg

img6191y.jpg

img6194.jpg

Again, these two were Lian Li's concepts from the 2009 Computex show, neither of which has been seen since...

Lian Li, I am disappoint.

PC-Q12
Unable to take graphics card yet uses SFX sized PSU? What a waste of space. If it used some proprietary PSU, can probably knock several inches off the unit. All we need is for Antec to make a better looking front for their ISK-100, or Mini Box for their M350 and either of those would be a better choice for something smaller.

PC-Q09FN
Another SFX sized PSU but no expansion slot? What kind of setup would need that wattage? Also, another beef I have with HTPC style cases is if it is "home theater" style, I want it to match my other gear. Just because it is a desktop style instead of tower style doesn't magically turn it into an HTPC case. My surround sound receiver is 17" wide. My upscaling DVD player is 17" wide. Most home theater equipment is 17" wide (actually just a hair over) and most equipment racks are made for that sized component. And then we have a "home theater" case that is narrower than anything else. WTF?

PC-Q15
Clone of SG05 but fits only single slot cards? Fail. And what use are the wheels?

PC-Q18
Does the world need another PC-Q08 variant?

PC-Q05
What in the world is this for? It is too narrow to be rackmount. No expansion slot for an HTPC tuner. Front button/LEDs are at 90º from the rear ports?

Again, these two were Lian Li's concepts from the 2009 Computex show, neither of which has been seen since...

Never seen that :( I'd love to replace the ISK-300 my firewall is in with one of those. It's so hard to find a decent looking ITX case that has room for an expansion card. Need the slot for my NIC. I wish those habbey cases had expansion slots.

PC-Q18
Does the world need another PC-Q08 variant?

This is smaller than PC-Q08, if anything, it's an evolution of PC-TU200. Has mobo tray, screwless side panels and top exhaust fan. If they addressed the mishap on the SATA backplane, this is one of the best there is in mITX storage AND gaming boxes.

As for all the other new cases -- I know how it feels when they seem to have made cases in every shape and form, just not the one *you* need .. but one has to commend Lian-Li for being bold in coming up with not one or two, but multiple new cases, year after year.

Last edited:
As for all the other new cases -- I know how it feels when they seem to have made cases in every shape and form, just not the one *you* need .. but one has to commend Lian-Li for being bold in coming up with not one or two, but multiple new cases, year after year.

Yeah, and some not being made at all while others being discontinued after one batch. :rolleyes: Had a friend try to find a PC-T7 (of any color) after seeing mine but they were discontinued.

Anyone was able to dig up a picture of PC-Q18 with the right side panel removed?

Last edited:
Anyone was able to dig up a picture of PC-1Q18 with the right side panel removed?
http://ic.tweakimg.net/ext/i/imagelarge/1326253172.jpeg

I'm pretty sure its removable. similar with Q25 flexible mounting with CPU back-holes. plus HDD tray at the bottom. Looks so nice as a combination of slim version of Q08(layout) and Q25(hot-swap storage).

Really looking forward to it!!!! (strangely they are still using USB3.0 cable instead of head in 2012? how weird

http://ic.tweakimg.net/ext/i/imagelarge/1326253172.jpeg

I'm pretty sure its removable. similar with Q25 flexible mounting with CPU back-holes. plus HDD tray at the bottom. Looks so nice as a combination of slim version of Q08(layout) and Q25(hot-swap storage).

Really looking forward to it!!!! (strangely they are still using USB3.0 cable instead of head in 2012? how weird

I see a USB3 Header in that picture you just linked? :confused::confused:

In fact all the pictures above show the USB3 header.

2012..can the thickness of these cases get any thinner. That's about the only question I ask myself lately when pondering Lian Li.

I agree with some of the sentiment here...meh. Nothing special. Wheels on an HTPC case? Worth a chuckle I suppose. Hey Bob, sure I'll build this for your entertainment center, but I'll need to ask..is it level? Ok, just kidding...:p.

Best,

Liquid Cool

P.S. I do have to add...the new side cover attachment system is a win. Better than those damn little screws I keep losing in the carpet.

Why are they still insisting on full-size optical devices on their ITX towers? They could make do with slimline drives. Come to think of it, there's no need for 3.5" HDD bays either.

Why are they still insisting on full-size optical devices on their ITX towers? They could make do with slimline drives. Come to think of it, there's no need for 3.5" HDD bays either.

Your statements are too general to be accurate. They'd be more accurate if you made them about yourself, as you may not use the 5.25" bay or have a need in 3.5" HDDs. There are plenty of other people (myself included), who would like to have many TB of storage in their small box at a reasonable price) .. and for the 5.25" bay -- not only regular size ODDs are more accessible, but also the bay can be used for 5.25" devices other than ODDs.

There are plenty of other people (myself included), who would like to have many TB of storage in their small box at a reasonable price)

But they have another product, a very similar server case, for that.

But they have another product, a very similar server case, for that.

Speak for yourself. I basically just use my ITX rig for gaming and I have about 1.5TB worth of games. If you want to find me a 2TB 2.5" drive then go ahead. Until that time I'll stick to my 3.5" ta. I don't want to have to buy a massive server case just for gaming.

I can agree that in a purely HTPC case there is no need for lots of 3.5" drives I would say a full size 5.25" serves the practical purpose that there are far more full size drives readily available then slimline. I would love to use the smallest part possible that gets the job done when ever possible, but alas the options are just not as much out there. Maybe I need to do some more research but I dont like laptop drives and just have not found one that I like in stock at many places.

These are some pretty disappointing releases. I was expecting better out of Lian Li.. :/

There isn't a huge amount of difference between the PC-Q08 and the PC-Q18 on the outside. I wouldn't say the PC-Q18 is a smaller version of the PC-Q08 going by outter overall dimesions.

PC-Q-08
227mm x 272mm x 345mm (WHD)

PC-Q18
199mm x 290mm x 365mm (WHD)

The PC-Q18 is actually a little taller and a little longer than the PC-Q08 but not as wide.

Edit: The PC-Q15 is smaller than the PC-Q18 though (smaller than both actually) @ 210mm x 210mm x 330mm (WHD). Cant get a good look but if them wheels can be easily removed that would solve the issue of a rolling unit.

Last edited:
Sorry to revive a slightly old post, but any idea whether the Q18 will be able to accommodate 6 swappable drives, similar to the Q08?

Sorry to revive a slightly old post, but any idea whether the Q18 will be able to accommodate 6 swappable drives, similar to the Q08?

Umm .. not sure what exactly you're asking, but Q18 can take 4 3.5" HDDs in the cage (with backplate) hanging off the 5.25" bay and 2 more 3.5" HDDs on the bottom platter.

Umm .. not sure what exactly you're asking, but Q18 can take 4 3.5" HDDs in the cage (with backplate) hanging off the 5.25" bay and 2 more 3.5" HDDs on the bottom platter.

The Q08 has a drive cage extender...

q08-15s.jpg

...but the only pictures of the Q18 show a 2.5" enclosure that seems to sacrifice one of the 3.5" drive bays.

osz0Dl.jpg

Moreover, the latter has a bottom plate (optional?) similar to the Q25. My questions are whether a Q08 style extender will be available on the Q18 (the dimensions seem about right), are there plans to support hot-swappable drives, and what kind of backplane is/will be available? Oh, and speaking of available, any word on ballpark for release of this case?

Thanks!

I'll take a wild guess and say summer. New cases seem to take forever to get released. I'd be surprised to see it before June 2012 but I could be wrong. :D

i would have presumed it to be an SFX PSU at most............

That would be my vote for the Q09. look at the PSU in there, and look at the 120mm fan at the other end. Also, the drive bays next to it are 2.5".

I hope they will also show some new slimline HTPC cases at the CeBit, looks like they are neglecting that branch a wee bit...

Yeah, I'd like to see a competitor to the Silverstone Milo ML03-B. That thing almost looks like my digital cable box that Time Warner provided, sans the channel display.

On the PC-Q18, did they really change the front panel USB 3.0 cable from the 20-pin MB header style shown in the original pictures) to 2 plugs designed to pass out of the case and plug into the back? What were they thinking?

On the PC-Q18, did they really change the front panel USB 3.0 cable from the 20-pin MB header style shown in the original pictures) to 2 plugs designed to pass out of the case and plug into the back? What were they thinking?

Where do you see that change?

I now see that, but it just does not go with no pass-through on the pack of the case (even if one accepted not using mobo USB3.0 header):
11-112-365-Z09

Must be someone putting the wrong part on the case at the factory. This can be resolved by contacting Lian-Li on a one-by-one basis (they can be convinced to send the proper part), but .. darn!!

Yeah, good point, I didn't even realize there was no way to pass those USB cables out of the case!

What were they thinking? Gah, hopefully it gets fixed on the next batch...

Back