Lian Li V358: Refresh

TheBlueChanell

Supreme [H]ardness
Disclaimer: I did a search for "v358" before posting so if this is a repost I apologize

Lian Li is refreshing their v350 line with the V358. It looks pretty interesting and seems to me like one of the best entries in this series since the original couple.

Definitely going to pick this one up for my NAS. I struggled to find a mATX or ITX case that fit more than 2-3 3.5" drives. The best choice at the time seemed to be a Define Mini and I didn't want one as I already have my server in an R4.

www.techpowerup.com/195864/lian-li-releases-the-pc-v358-m-atx-chassis-in-north-america.html

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1786544

I found it by searching for "v358" so you might have a typo.
I said it before and I'll say it again: steer clear of this when using a GPU which requires PCIe power connectors as it seems to have been designed to be closed with them.

Funny thing regarding that in another case:

q33-033_575px.jpg

PC-Q33

It DOES have the height, but not the length for a decent GPU. I learned it the hard way that Lian-Li designs their cases with nothing connected, just small reference design components...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1786544

I found it by searching for "v358" so you might have a typo.
I said it before and I'll say it again: steer clear of this when using a GPU which requires PCIe power connectors as it seems to have been designed to be closed with them.

Funny thing regarding that in another case:

q33-033_575px.jpg

PC-Q33

It DOES have the height, but not the length for a decent GPU. I learned it the hard way that Lian-Li designs their cases with nothing connected, just small reference design components...

The PC-V358 can fit a GPU up to 330mm in length, which is almost 13 inches. The R9 290x is not even 11 inches. Not sure where you got your information.

The PC-V358 can fit a GPU up to 330mm in length, which is almost 13 inches. The R9 290x is not even 11 inches. Not sure where you got your information.
I wasn't talking about card length, but card height. Read this post for more on this issue:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040299710&postcount=6

The picture is of another case, the PC-Q33. I mention it because it is a smaller case which can fit any GPU height-wise but can only fit very short ones (low-end to mid-range), making it moot that it allows such tall GPU's. On the other hand, the PC-V358 allows for very long cards (high-end) but if it all-but exceeds PCIe reference design, it will most likely not fit. I'm still not sure it will fit for everybody, considering you have about 25mm for the PCIe plug AND cables, making it a very tight fit or no fit at all. It is incredibly stupid of them to not see this and adjust the design accordingly or by adding a few cm of height. It would allow a lot more non-reference cards and negate the PCIe power connector issues.

Another thing I noticed was that the PSU doesn't seem to be able to get fresh air. While all they had to do was make ventilation holes in the bottom area.
Someone also mentioned it but the I/O panel being on one side makes it much more difficult to use or place. For instance, I have my PC at the right, near a wall. Nowhere to place it left of me, so the plugs are either inaccessible or I need to turn the case 90° but all my cables will be sticking out. Why they chose to have a slimline ODD and not place the I/O panel on the bottom-front is beyond my logic.

It's just a badly designed case and the hinge doesn't fix it. This is the n-th time Lian-Li releases a badly tested and designed case which is very easy for them to fix but very difficult for consumers to deal with.

Last edited:
Back