Lian Li PC-V1010 blow hole help

N1GHTRA1N

Gawd
I'm considering cutting into my Lian Li PC-V1010 case to add top exhaust fans. I would like to use two 120mm or 140mm fans to exhaust heat out of the top of my case. I've never done this before and I don't want to mess up the case. Is there an easy way to do this? I can't remove the top without removing rivets which I'd like to try and avoid.

Any suggestions?

when i've cut holes in my cases, i just empty them out, and cut the holes with a hole saw and clean out the case with an air gun, here's a couple of examples of how that can turn out:

intake in the bottom of a storm scout:
P1040332.jpg

exhaust in the top go a SUGO 03:
P1040335.jpg

So you'd use like a 4.5" hole saw for 120mm and 5.5" for 140mm? Is that about right?

For the most part your cuts look clean. Is it better to cut from the inside or the outside? I'd like to have them as clean as possible.

I'd likely use something like these in the top too. I think it'll give it more a stock look since the rear 120mm on my case uses one.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556087601.html

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556095880.html

What do you think?

yeah, those are both cut with 4.5" hole. i just drilled and small pilot hole and ran the drill at slow speed until it was well grooved into the metal. then i would speed it up, i did this to prevent the saw from jumping and scratching the surface. both of those where cut from the outside in, i just found it easier to measure and cut smoothly if i had as much space as needed. the vent hole in the SUGO case i did used one of those mesh inserts, matched the front mesh almost perfectly. once cut, i used a black shapie marker on the edges of the whole to hide the cut a little more. also, you can get some conical head screws with washers for a nice look, and they help cover the holes for the fan mounting bolts.

Anyone know the proper hole saw sizes for 80 and 90mm off the top of their head?

80mm = 3” hole saw
92mm = 3.5” hole saw
120mm = 4.5” hole saw
140mm = 5.5″ hole saw

Im gonna do the same here, to install a H50 inside an old case. Its like 1 month past, and the H50 is still waiting, since I got no drill for metal yet =x
good luck

Back