Lian Li PC Q08B Mini-ITX case $60 AR

Kueller

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112265 $79.99 - $20 MIR = $59.99
Was looking for a case to house a NAS/server build. Wasn't looking to spend a ton so most lian li cases were out of the question, but I did come across the PC-Q08B here for what seemed like a decent price.

What really interested me were the 6 internal 3.5" bays + 1 external 5.25", 7 bays are many as I've seen in reasonably sized mITX cases.

Seems there's also the PC-V354B mATX for $80 AR, PC-9F mid-tower for $70 AR, PC-A05FNB mid-tower $55 AR and some other Lian Li cases on sale. Worth a look anyways.

I've had that PC-Q08B in my cart for a few days now for an HTPC build that I can't quite pull the trigger on. Beautiful looking case.

Is this the case (PC Q08B) that uses machine screws on it (back?)? I thought I read that one of the mini-ITX Lian Li cases did and there were complaints over it, esp. if you need to get into the box a lot.

Or was it another model #?

Is this the case (PC Q08B) that uses machine screws on it (back?)? I thought I read that one of the mini-ITX Lian Li cases did and there were complaints over it, esp. if you need to get into the box a lot.

Looks like it from the pictures.... that's kind of annoying and unlike Lian Li.

edit: Looks like the PC-V354B has that crazy machine screw thing too. Looks it's "like Lian Li" now.

The reviews indicate both the PC-Q08B and PC-V354B use screws to attach the side panels. I found it to be of minor concern to me personally. I don't plan on fiddling around inside a SFF(ish) case much once it's built.

What I am having a hard time with now is resisting stepping up to the PC-V354B. It's $20 more, which is significant at this price point...but it's also got 2 front fans for the drive cages, has an extra internal bay (7), takes cheaper mATX mobos (which would likely offset the price difference) and isn't all that much bigger in terms of size.

I have this case and use it as a secondary gaming/htpc box. The sides are in fact held on by those little machine screws that are easily mashed up by the wrong screwdriver. They are the same screws used on most Lian-Li Mini-itx's that I have seen. Not recommended for a build you want to get in/out of often, unless you replace them with some kind of thumbscrew, which is kind of a shame considering there's ample space for drives and they are easily accessible with the side off.

As for the case itself, it's the usual Lian-Li quality and look. It's a bigger case than you may think, almost as big as a Bitfenix Prodigy without the plastic handles. There is a good amount of space inside for full size cards (mine has a GTX570). The power supply sits directly over the heatsink, so there is not a lot of room for aftermarket cooling. Great case, but I wish Lian Li would come up with something better than those screws.

I own this case, overall glad I got it. The case screws are annoying and cable management is tough with a bigger psu.

Back