Lian-Li PC-D8000 (storage)

sphinx99, That case is enormous & looks great. It looks like a Mountain Mods case, but with more options. That thing is like two of my cases stuck side by side. I like the optional roof fan panels, just pop an H100 radiator in there no problem. Matbe if I throw out some of my furniture I can fit it in my room. :D

At that pricepoint I think I would rather have a norco if I wanted that much hard drive storage. I guess this case is targeted at those who use their server as a gaming box also.

I'm wondering how hard it is to put screws into the backside of your DVD, fan controller, card reader, etc. With that tight of a space between the two sets of three 5.25 front bays, it looks pretty difficult. I have an offset ratcheting screwdriver & I still think lining up those screws would be a nightmare. Anybody have any experience with installing such hardware in this case ? Does one of the 5.25 bays come out ? What a shame all that space but none where you will need it.

At that pricepoint I think I would rather have a norco if I wanted that much hard drive storage. I guess this case is targeted at those who use their server as a gaming box also.

See, the problem with the Norco (which I've owned) is that in an environment where I don't have a good rack to put it in, it's a fairly inefficient use of space. It's also ugly, and shoddy. I already have 3 of 24 bays dead from connector failure. The D8000 isn't cheap, but it sure does look pretty - it's something I'd keep in a dressy, classy home office.

I agree that the enclosure is clearly designed for water cooling and this is probably a concern from a storage server standpoint. I wish I could put a second motherboard in it...

I ordered one yesterday, missed that 30% off deal which is a bit disappointing. I would like to get the backplanes for it as well, but having to buy 8 seems silly.

I send an email off to Lian-Li to see if they plan to make the 4 drive backplane available for purchase. I believe it's currently shipping with the Q25 along with a single drive model for the 5 drive bay. I hope they start selling it as the BP3SATA is a bit small for some of their larger cases that are starting to roll out.

Back