Lian LI PC A05 NB case

Noobie here,1st post. About to build a system (my second build, 1st was for a friend). I really like the Lian A05 NB case, mainly for it's size but also for Lian's quality. I'm looking for opinions about whether I will have any problems with the components I plan on using fitting properly. Main concerns are the video card and the CPU cooler. Also, I have read some issues about the air pockets in this case and wonder whether the components listed will produce any excessive heat problems.

Here is a quick composite of the case interior and the Gigabyte MB I plan on using. Will the PCI Express video card fit without interfering with the 3.5 floppy/external 5.25 bays? Also, will the Zalman CPU cooler listed below fit OK?
lian_case_alt-1.jpg

Here are the components I plan on installing:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor
2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB HDD configured RAID1
EVGA GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Video Card
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) RAM
ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Power Supply
Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R SATA DVD Burner

Main uses will be for graphics production and moderate video editing. No gaming - well maybe MS Flight Simulator.

TIA for any replies and suggestions.

Last edited:
Browsing through the Lian Li PC-A05N gallery (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1133290), it's evident that you shouldn't have any problems with GPU length or CPU cooler size. The A05 is small and has enough room for full size components. In regards to the heating issue, I myself don't own a A05 but I've followed it's massive gallery since day one. Some users modded top blowholes, which seems to be the best option, but if you don't mod then you can look into the BS-03 (http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=232&cl_index=2&sc_index=34&ss_index=83), although I don't know how effective it will be. You will most likely be fine without any sort of modifications especially if you aren't going to be gaming or OC'ing.

Your photoshopped picture has the motherboard too low anyways, it should be up 1 more PCI slot

You can see the bottom PCI-E x 1 slot doesn't have a slot on the back

A05B shouldn't have any problems with 10.5" cards, they rest right above the HDD slot at that length but do not interfere with anything, with any motherboard. Because no motherboard puts the PCI-E x 16 slot in the very top location (or bottom from this angle)

Your photoshopped picture has the motherboard too low anyways, it should be up 1 more PCI slot

You can see the bottom PCI-E x 1 slot doesn't have a slot on the back

A05B shouldn't have any problems with 10.5" cards, they rest right above the HDD slot at that length but do not interfere with anything, with any motherboard. Because no motherboard puts the PCI-E x 16 slot in the very top location (or bottom from this angle)
Thanks for the reply and you're right, I missed placing the MB overlay by 1 slot (since corrected) so it appears there would be no difficulty with the video card.

I have an A05B and I have the same board. I also have a TRUE 120.

setup8409009.jpg

And I do recommend the vent on the top because there is a pocket of heat around the videocard and it does heat up the case pretty well. It's not hard nor is it too expensive. I am actually going to do watercooling, so a radiator is perfect there.

I have an A05B and I have the same board. I also have a TRUE 120.

setup8409009.jpg

And I do recommend the vent on the top because there is a pocket of heat around the videocard and it does heat up the case pretty well. It's not hard nor is it too expensive. I am actually going to do watercooling, so a radiator is perfect there.
Thanks for the reply. Not sure what a TRUE 120 is:confused: Do I need two fans on the top or can I get by with one? Should the top fan be pulling air out? That seems to make sense to me.

TRUE 120 - Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120. It's highly regarded as one of the best, if not the best air CPU cooler on the market today.

Most people who've modded top blowholes usually set them as exhaust so that would probably be your best bet. Most people also mod 2x 120mm fans but if you were to do one, make sure you place it more towards the rear as that seems to be the place with the most heat buildup.

TRUE 120 - Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120. It's highly regarded as one of the best, if not the best air CPU cooler on the market today.

Most people who've modded top blowholes usually set them as exhaust so that would probably be your best bet. Most people also mod 2x 120mm fans but if you were to do one, make sure you place it more towards the rear as that seems to be the place with the most heat buildup.
Thanks for the clarification. I've never modded a case before. Is there a guide or tutorial available that anyone can recommend on how to create the top blowhole(s)?

Back