• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Lian-Li PC-7B Cable Management

AVAFREAK182

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 10, 2007
Messages
2,645
Does it exist? :p

So I just bought this case used from a member here, and I was wondering how its gonna be with the cables. I am buying parts for my rig slowly so I don't know exactly what I am putting in yet.

Where the hell am I gonna route the motherboard wires?

Also, this is the windowed version.

Am I gonna have to cut a whole to route the wires to behind the motherboard tray?

BTW, first time Lian-Li owner here :D

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

AVAFREAK182
 
Where the hell am I gonna route the motherboard wires?

Am I gonna have to cut a whole to route the wires to behind the motherboard tray?

Take a look at the Lian Li gallery. Search around and take tips from other PC-7s, as well as the PC-65s.

Not much you can do without a good hole or two... but that's what I'd do:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/DeathseekerWR/PC7cables.jpg

EPS12V (red): Only one way to put it, really. Run it flush against the bottom of the power supply and just j-j-jam it in.

24-pin (yellow): No real way to hide it. But thanks to that curved piece of aluminium that hides the entire upper portion of the case, you can cut a hole there and nobody would know.

SATA power/Molex (blue): Take the 90' approach. Go straight out from the PSU, then go vertically down to each device.

SATA (pinkish):
Have the connections on the hard drive face the back (for ease of use), and run the SATA and SATA power around the side or under the drive. Loop the SATA data cable back again to plug it into the motherboard.

PCIe (green): Not much you can do here, again.

USB/Firewire/Front Panel: Not much you can do. Sleeve them, it'll look better.

Optical: I'd put it in the second bay, and use the top bay to store extra cables. That's standard practice for me.


Just don't end up like this: http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/cases/lian_li/pc-7a_plus/PC-7a_files/image010.jpg
 
I just picked one of these up. Now that I have replaced a modular power supply with non-modular, it poses even more issues. I'm mostly concerned about airflow in these cases though, since I don't have a window or plan to ever use one.

A couple tips that I have used in the past, and that I used wiring mine:

-Braid (if you know how) the front panel wires together. It looks nicer, and keeps it more tidy.
-There is lots of space above the optical drive, even when installed in the very top bay. Use that to store extra power cables.
-There is a small gap between the 5.25" bay and the motherboard backing plate. You can run cables through the top of the notch and zip them to the 5.25" bay, and then down - if you have enough cable.
-Use some nice cable-gami if you are using an IDE optical drive(s) instead of rounded.
-If SATA optical drives, run the cables under the motherboard
-I don't use the front panel firewire/usb/sound. I took it out completely.

Not a whole lot else without cutting stuff. Hope that helps!
 
Back
Top