Lian Li PC-352B vs TJ08-E vs Thermaltake Armor A30?

milkmandan

n00b
Hey guys, I am new to this forum, but I would really appreciate everyones awesome expert advice.
I am in the market for a new media pc/gaming rig and I need to pick out a case.
I already have most of my components selected and bought.

My choices are either the Lian Li PC-352B, or TJ08-E or Thermaltake Armor A30? (or any other suggestion anyone else has). The case should be small.

- I like the airflow and design of the TJ08-E, but it seems a little big and it is more like a mini-tower than a MediaPC box. :\ It's still within my choice list though, but anything bigger would probably be a "no". But this case has USB 3.0 on the front panel and removeable fan filters (which is a big plus for me). Also it can house my video card comfortably with no mods.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=303&area=

- I like the Thermaltake Armor 30 for it's design and it is longer than it is tall and it can house all components I need, but I've heard horror stories about the poor poor airflow and high temps. (This can be an issue as the computer unfortunately will be in a spot that can get kind of stuffy and I do plan on leaving this machine on for extended periods of time). Is it really that bad? I plan on slapping in a GTX 570 Twin Frozr III inside, so a lot of video card heat will stay within the case.
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1122&ID=1989

- I really like the form factor of the Lian Li PC-352B, and the 2 x 120mm fans are great for airflow. One 120mm blows right at the video card, and the other blows right at the memory/cpu. Only bad part about this case is that i hear it has a hard time with fat video cards and video cards that have their PCI-E power plugs on the side. A metal cutter or Dremel will HAVE to be used (which I would like to avoid, but I can do it). I do like how this has USB 3.0 though and fan filters (that can be removed and cleaned). Lian Li provides rubber grommets for the hard drives.
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product04.php?cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=64

==========================================================

I've filled out the little build helper questions! Here goes...

1. What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming, Photoshop (or other intensive programs), Overclocking, Web browsing, strictly HTPC/Playback, etc. (If you have multiple things you want to do with the system, make sure you rank them from most important to least important).
Gaming (no OC), Torrenting, HTPC/HD Playback, web browsing.
- I do not plan to OC at all (for now) as I don't even have an unlocked processor in there, but in the future as I migrate machines and build new ones, I might put my 2500K in here and OC it a little bit.

2. What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included in this budget? Is your budget flexible? Is cost a driving factor in component selection?
~$100 - $150. I am looking to spent under $150 for the case, but would prefer if the case cost around $100.

3. Where do you live? Do you have any big B&M (brick and mortar) computer chains nearby (e.g. Microcenter, Fry's, etc)?
I have Microcenter, Frys, Mwave, Newegg all around me. I live in Walnut, CA. Literally the neighbor city to Newegg, I can do will call from them, but would prefer not to. I have Amazon Prime, so anything I can get on Amazon, even if a little more expensive, might be worth it since I dont have to pay tax or shipping.

4. What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case only...

5. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. For reused parts, list brands, model #s, and, if applicable, firmware revisions.
All New

6. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc. Which is more important, size of the system or having the particular feature? Make sure you indicate *required* vs. *wanted* for each feature you list.
Already have mobo, have the Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z

7. What resolution output do you need? 1080p, 720p, DVD quality, etc for HTPC or list Vertical/horizontal resolution for non-HTPC SFF rigs. Do you need multiple monitor output?
Got a 47" 1080p Vizio 240hz LED LCD HDTV, so 1080p.

8. Does this system need to fit into a particular space? Think entertainment center shelves, closet space, rackmount, etc.
Not really. but it can't be huge. It has to fit on a counter top of a loft. From the wall to the edge of the counter I have about 26 inches. There is plenty of space, but I don't want this thing to stand out too much.

9. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? What tools do you have (Screwdrivers/Leatherman, Drill, Dremel, Metal snips, Soldering Iron, Bending Brake, CNC/Welding machines/Plasma cutter, etc...)?
I am comfortable, but I would prefer not to do any case modifications if possible. I've only done dremel work on modifications so far. I only have standard screwdrivers and dremel.

10. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem? HTPCs typically want to be quiet while all-out SFF gaming rigs don't care.
I need a balance between noise/silence. It needs to cool well, I can stand some noise from fans, but i can't have a whoooshing jet engine sound.

11. How mobile does this system need to be? Need a carrying handle or carrying straps? Is weight important (carry-on bag, etc)? Water cooling quick disconnects, etc?
I got the antec cart and strap, so I am set. No water cooling needed.

12. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Remember that OEM copies of Win7 have issues with new motherboards
Yup

13. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Immediately, in a couple weeks, 3-5 years?
Immediately.

If you're tight on space I would go with the TT or LL. If you can spare the space, I would go with the TJ08-E. It looks like it would provide better cooling and cable management overall compared to the other cases listed. Here are some other cases that are very similar in size to the TJ08-E:

A04
A05N
A05FN

Back