Lian Li PC-343B vs Norco 4224?

brutalizer

[H]ard|Gawd
So what is the consensus here? Which is best?
http://www.xoxide.com/lian-li-pc-343b-case.html
It can hold 30 disks.

Or the norco rpc-4224? It can hold 24 disks.

But the Lian Li, are there any drawbacks? I have done some reading, but does anyone of you have first hand experience? No backplanes on the Lian Li? How much do they cost?

Well, you will need to purchase 6 5-in-3 hotswaps like the supermicro M35T at about $100 each, so along with the cost of the lian-li brings it to almost $1,000. That is a big difference. In that price range, you would be better served buying a supermicro or chenbro chassis. Much higher quality at about the same price for a 24-30 drive case.

$400 vs $1000 ??????? You can't compare them - they are too different

I agree. I was just pointing out how much it would cost to get the lian-li up to the swap count of the norco, and the benefit would not be worth the cost difference.

Ok, I will go for the norco. Besides, the norco occupies half the space as the Lian Li chassi.

And if you don't already have a mount the Norco's actually lend themselves pretty well to being mounted under an ikea Lack end table (google for "Lack Rack") - here's a random picture of such a setup
Norco-3216-LackRack.jpg

I went with a server/maxed out internals/external enclosures and if I could do it over again would just have gone with the 20 disk norco. It really does become cheaper at around 10 drives. I have a friend who went with one (and did the whole lack rack setup) and it came out *very* nicely. One gotcha - make sure you order the 120mm fan bracket - the default 80mm bracket is, well, "enterprise" in sound volume - the 120mm setup with appropriate fans is quiet enough you can't generally tell it's turned on.

Regarding the LackRack, I just built a cube from two lacks, where the table of the second is the basement for the cube.
However, since the stands are hollow, I am not able to properly fix screws for the L-pieces to hold the chassis. How did you fix it? It seems you also fixed it right in the middle of the stands, which are hollow right in that area ... :(

(...)
However, since the stands are hollow, I am not able to properly fix screws for the L-pieces to hold the chassis. How did you fix it? It seems you also fixed it right in the middle of the stands, which are hollow right in that area ... :(

Note that that one is just a random picture I pulled off the internet to illustrate the point. I'll get some pictures of my friends setup - we didn't use the L straps like that picture, but built a shelf with another piece of wood (actually) bought a second lackrack and cut the legs off + notched the top so it fit perfectly. We then drilled a hole in the leg, placed a wooden peg in it on each of the inside legs, and routed out a recess in the bottom of the shelf for the peg to sit flush in - so basically turn the rack upside down, placed the 2nd tabletop inside the legs and let it rest on the backside of the main tabletop, placed the pegs in, flipped the table over, then lowered the 2nd tabletop into the pegs (which slid into the routed recesses).

This let the norco slide in/out as needed (couldn't come up with a neat way to affix the rails - and the ones that came with the case were kinda junky - not the ball-bearing ones.

Wow, I would really appreciate a picture since I have severe problems to understand the whole procedure :D

Back