Lian Li cases

I was a huge Lian Li fan and had many of their cases through the years. It was hard to beat their build quality in previous years but I feel like they've been stagnant and haven't kept up with the times. They would release a bunch of new models every year but a lot of them looked alike and seldomly introduced any really innovative design features. For the last couple of builds, I was looking for any new Lian Li's that were promising but found none. It was really telling to me that two builds ago, I opted for a Corsair Air 540 over any Lian Li cases. The build quality on the Corsair wasn't anywhere near LL but it was much better designed and very easy to build in.

For my current build, I went with the Phanteks Evolv Tempered Glass ATX case and absolutely love it. Great build quality, lots of modern features, and looks great with your system built into it.

I was a huge Lian Li fan and had many of their cases through the years. It was hard to beat their build quality in previous years but I feel like they've been stagnant and haven't kept up with the times. They would release a bunch of new models every year but a lot of them looked alike and seldomly introduced any really innovative design features. For the last couple of builds, I was looking for any new Lian Li's that were promising but found none. It was really telling to me that two builds ago, I opted for a Corsair Air 540 over any Lian Li cases. The build quality on the Corsair wasn't anywhere near LL but it was much better designed and very easy to build in.

For my current build, I went with the Phanteks Evolv Tempered Glass ATX case and absolutely love it. Great build quality, lots of modern features, and looks great with your system built into it.

Thanks. So there is no where to buy a completely new Lian Li PC-60USB in black ?

Dunno...but if you're in the Bay Area, I have a nice LL PC-7B Plus I could sell you for cheap ;)

The Phanteks Evolv is gonna be my next case. I still have my 12 core 2010 Mac Pro chugging along, still plenty fast with my needs and the upgrades i've done. Now I'm in the mood for another gaming PC.

I've got two Lian-Li cases and still think their material quality is good. What they tend to do these days is to launch models that aren't really well thought through, though.

They also abandon models quickly, and launch a host of models each year. Short product life cycles encourages buyers to "buy now, buy now, becuase it's not going to be around for too long." This system also seems to be based on also launching products that are not quite right, not quite well thought through. This hollows the brand, removing some of the sheen around it. This seems to take place even though they ask for feedback, prior to launch. I've seen examples of a lot of users suggestion the inclusion of filters, but they haven't been included at launch. No changes what so ever.

Launching not quite there models lowers development cost, and opens up for improved or upgraded models, next time around.

One of the cases I've got is the PC-Q02. It was launched as part of a range, there was a PC-Q03 as well, slightly wider. PC-Q03 probably didn't sell, and was abandoned, while the PC-Q02 was developed into two models. One, called the PC-Q20, very similar to the PC-Q02, except with a single slot for a GPU, and one taller more developed chassis, with filters, room for a fan etc, the PC-Q21. So this seems to be their business model. Launching a lot of new models allows the name to constantly stay in the media, it also allows the exploration of new form factors, or variations. Some take off, some don't.

I agree the recent case designs are lacking. But my thoughts are the designs might be constrained because of their tooling. Lian Li manufacturing is centered on heavy use of brake presses, and do not typically use complex sheet metal stampings.

The Phanteks Evolv is gonna be my next case. I still have my 12 core 2010 Mac Pro chugging along, still plenty fast with my needs and the upgrades i've done. Now I'm in the mood for another gaming PC.

Sam, good to see you're still on the forum . . . I took some time away from upgrading my system and was using my 3930k based system for something like 4-5 years, which was previously unheard of for me when you and I were going through cases like underwear!

The Evolv Tempered Glass is a really nice case and pretty easy to build in. However, one caveat for me is that it doesn't really fit the Asus Rampage V Edition 10 board due to it's extended ATX form factor plus the LED plate on the back. For some stupid reason, the area where the grommets are on the right edge of the motherboard slants up so this eATX board is a tad too long and protrudes past the left edge of the grommets. This means that I can fully screw in the motherboard to the mobo studs and I can only use a portion of the grommet (for example, the 24 pin cable can't be pushed through with the board in place). Most importantly, this also causes the right edge of the motherboard to sit ever so slightly higher than the left side so the GPU won't fully seat into the upper PCI-E slots b/c the end of the GPU butts up directly against the SATA ports. That's also why I had the ghetto rig the black sharpied chopstick to hold the card up more securely!!! ;)

Here's a poorly lit photo . . . will try to take some better pics after we get home from the Thanksgiving holiday...

Overall a great case though - I really like it.

Dear god, names I remember that don't literally run this place. Omerta. yenniedn. So confused. Where the fuck is enginurd... Where are my people?

omg after six years i finally got bored with the SG05 so i went to lian li and all the fucking cute itx cubes had opening for a single slot vga and pretty much all of them had an internal space to fit a mini dual slot in it, ugh!

Lian Li's PC-O9WRX is phenomenal, and will be my next case purchase (not to replace my existing PC-X2000FN, but for a separate rig).

Sam, good to see you're still on the forum . . . I took some time away from upgrading my system and was using my 3930k based system for something like 4-5 years, which was previously unheard of for me when you and I were going through cases like underwear!

The Evolv Tempered Glass is a really nice case and pretty easy to build in. However, one caveat for me is that it doesn't really fit the Asus Rampage V Edition 10 board due to it's extended ATX form factor plus the LED plate on the back. For some stupid reason, the area where the grommets are on the right edge of the motherboard slants up so this eATX board is a tad too long and protrudes past the left edge of the grommets. This means that I can fully screw in the motherboard to the mobo studs and I can only use a portion of the grommet (for example, the 24 pin cable can't be pushed through with the board in place). Most importantly, this also causes the right edge of the motherboard to sit ever so slightly higher than the left side so the GPU won't fully seat into the upper PCI-E slots b/c the end of the GPU butts up directly against the SATA ports. That's also why I had the ghetto rig the black sharpied chopstick to hold the card up more securely!!! ;)

Here's a poorly lit photo . . . will try to take some better pics after we get home from the Thanksgiving holiday...

Overall a great case though - I really like it.

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to get a regular ATX mobo for use in the case. System is looking great. Are you using the same sleeved cabels from the ax850 I sold you years back?

And the more research I do, the more I like the case. Especially for the price. There's a lot of great cases nowadays for great prices. Don't need to spend over $250 anymore for a great case.

I'm waiting on kaby lake and new Nvidia GPUs before I build one. I figure it's already too far along the cycle for me to one get a brand new 1080 when something new should be around the corner in the coming months.

Dear god, names I remember that don't literally run this place. Omerta. yenniedn. So confused. Where the fuck is enginurd... Where are my people?

Lol, hey man. How you been?

Back