Lian Li A04 black or silver, dvd cover mod ?

JoQ

n00b
Hi there!

First post ever, I'm getting tired of my huge Thermaltake Armor case, as I have a mATX board I really don't need it.
I run hackintosh on my computer and I would love if my new case was a little Apple-like, clean and simple. The best I could find was the new Lian Li A04 case (do you have any other ideas?).
There's a few things I can't decide about, first off it's the color, should I go with black or silver? Black is an easy and natural choice, but also quite booring, silver though is alot more Apple and looks great if it isn't a cheap-looking silver? Havn't seen it IRL so I can't decide about that.
The next and biggest problem is that when you install a dvd-drive the looks go away. All dvd-drives are ugly, and if I go with silver I can't just use my black one.
Sadly the dvd-drive cover for Lian Li's doesn't seem to fit A04 right?

I have an idea, the cover you remove when you install the dvd drive, can you modify that, by cutting the mountings so all that is left is a plate, then tape it with doublesided tape on the dvd drive?

What do you think?

Please help me! :)

Have you seen the new Lian Li V600F? It's also mATX, comes with an optical drive cover and looks more "Apple-like".

v600f-02.jpg

Link to Lian Li page

And the brushed silver aluminum of the Lian Li cases looks very nice in person.

Whaaaat, thats so sweet! Except the blue fans :O (hope you can turn the LED's off?) But I can't find it anywhere in Sweden where I live? Is it not yet released?

Have to have that one!

Whaaaat, thats so sweet! Except the blue fans :O (hope you can turn the LED's off?) But I can't find it anywhere in Sweden where I live? Is it not yet released?

Have to have that one!
The V600F was introduced at CeBIT 2011, so it's not widely available yet.

As for the lights, usually you can just cut the wires that go to the LED's to turn them off, but it would best to replace the fans. The fan at the top doesn't have LED's so you would only need to get two 120mm fans. Perhaps you have 120mm fans already from another case that you can use.

But from what I understand on the Lian Li website this "stealth-covers" doesn't fit the A04, it's not listed under accessories?

Theres a shorter version of the cover. Maybe that 1 would

Wow, that V600F looks amazing. Makes me regret purchasing my ATX motherboard so much... knew this would happen. :(

WAAAOUHHH!!!! When the hell did that V600 get announced? I was JUST looking at Li Li's website last night!

You can do what you described very easily.

Cut the sides off a bay cover, apply some velcro to the optical tray and on the newly modified bay cover.....done. Put a little piece of the "furry" side of the velcro on the bay cover where the optical drive release button is too. You can press that corner then and since its attached with velcro to the drive, it will flex enough to let you open it as normal.

Here's my old V1000. Using the same one on my X900 now (pioneer blueray drive in top slot).....

DSC00147.jpg

Holy fuck, new V600F deserves its own thread :)

The new side panel retention mechanism looks spiffy and tool-less!

That is a beautiful looking case. I might actually contemplate a silver case for once. I really like Lian Li's, and I was planning on picking up another PC-A05NB. lol. Hope this hits the Egg in July or August.

Guys, I really love the case you presented, sadly I contacted the distributor in my country and the price is gonna be around $310 while the A04 is $115. As much as I love the case I can't justify that much more amount of money... Anyone know a website that ships to Sweden cheaply?

Damn, I can't buy the A04 now, it's just to ugly in comparison :(

Theres a shorter version of the cover. Maybe that 1 would
Anyone tried to stealth their dvd-case on an A04 case? Which model did you use?

You can do what you described very easily.

Cut the sides off a bay cover, apply some velcro to the optical tray and on the newly modified bay cover.....done. Put a little piece of the "furry" side of the velcro on the bay cover where the optical drive release button is too. You can press that corner then and since its attached with velcro to the drive, it will flex enough to let you open it as normal.

Here's my old V1000. Using the same one on my X900 now (pioneer blueray drive in top slot).....
Nice! And you think the same goes for a A04 case? If so, problem may be solved and I may go with the silver case :)

That's one gorgeous case. You should also google "Fractal Design" cases. They're made of steel, but are definitely attractive and usually run around 100-110 bucks.

The C-02 cover fits fine on the PC-A04. Or at least, it does on mine:

Closed
2mzl0yg.jpg

Open
2s86aua.jpg

It fits with no room to spare, though——the cover with its mounting flanges is pretty much exactly the same width as the case body.

2q23le9.jpg

Last edited:
That's one gorgeous case. You should also google "Fractal Design" cases. They're made of steel, but are definitely attractive and usually run around 100-110 bucks.
Thanks! But I don't love the fractal design that much. I would love a silver/alu case for once :)
The C-02 cover fits fine on the PC-A04. Or at least, it does on mine:

Closed
2mzl0yg.jpg

Open
2s86aua.jpg

It fits with no room to spare, though—the cover with its mounting flanges is pretty much exactly the same width as the case body.

2q23le9.jpg

Nice!
I was about to buy the A04, but now I have a hard time comparing it to the looks of the V600F, it's so sweet!

Did you guys say it will be released 2 June ? If so, where can I get it that ships to Sweden quite cheaply, like in the UK? Any good sites? If it's in Europe, thats a plus, that way I don't have to pay for customs and such!

the v600f is the same as the a04 with more vents and the fact that the back does have the holes for the usb3 cable and fan hole

I have an idea, the cover you remove when you install the dvd drive, can you modify that, by cutting the mountings so all that is left is a plate, then tape it with doublesided tape on the dvd drive?
)

in answer to your original question, yes. I did it! Just bend the tabs in a little bit before cutting them off. Makes the plate clear the opening a little easier when finished.

Back