LG’s Biggest, Best OLED TV Costs A Cool $20,000

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Any proud OLED TV owners here? Well, your set just got outranked by this guy. Don’t feel bad, though; you would be insane for dropping that amount of cash on display technology I would argue is still in its infancy. While I now own a modest 1080p OLED display with superior contrast levels, its motion resolution is still bested by my plasma.

The Signature OLED is gorgeously designed, with a display bonded onto a big slim sheet of glass and an articulating 4.2-channel Harman/Kardon speaker base with that pumps out 80 watts. You flip it down when you mount the TV on the wall, and use it as a pedestal base when it’s resting on your entertainment center. And it better be a sturdy entertainment center, because the set weighs 115 pounds. And of course, this TV does all the things you’d expect a super-pricey set to do in 2016. Naturally, It’s a 4K panel. It does HDR, with support for both Dolby Vision and HDR10 content.

Still rocking a 60" samsung plasma, thing is a beast. I agree, oled looks amazing but motion looks just amazing on plasma. Too bad they weigh so much.

I recall when OLED first was being talked about, they boasted vertical refresh rates in the MHz, so perhaps that will get to or beyond plasma levels eventually as the tech matures.

On a 64' Samsung Plasma myself and I'm not surprised.

I still have people that come over to my place and say the picture is still better than most TV's they have seen.

OLED will have its place but I think its just too early still.

I bought my mother the 65" E6 OLED. She can't handle a receiver so the sound bar is pretty good. Motion resolution is outstanding, I have watched 3D movies with her, streaming Netflix 4, Amazon 4K, regular comcast cable, no judder as of yet. Only down side is freakin cable. The picture is different from channel to channel I swear. I thought she had the Soap Opera Effect on it with that hazy look, well, calibrated it in dark wise and it was in fact cable. I couldn't reproduce the haze on the 4K Blu-ray player or in Streaming shows. Also recent update put the lag time in game mode down to 34 ms. I can't notice it when we hooked up daughter's ps4 to it.

I have owned panny plasma (VT25 55") Sony Bravia XBR-4. and LCos/DLP projectors and TV's. I love my 73 DLP for comp gaming and movies with Martin Logan surround system, so I thought. Now I want to throw it in the garbage and Down size to this incredible image quality. I faded off watching 3d till this TV. O.M.G! Avatar again was incredible, and the best 3D I have seen, specially being passive. Only downside is you have to stay in front of it or you lose effect and quality. Out of box, you are going to have to meddle in the settings to get the great picture people brag about. Once it gets 200+ hours on it I will have it calibrated pro style (3 to 4 hours). Don't buy BestBuys calibration, unless it has changed, theirs is a quick 15 setup, not even close to a pro calibration.

I am going to hold out for the 77" though. LG Display has another line coming up for OLED production. Supposedly Philips and Panny are going to take orders and put out their own in the next year or 2. Sorry I went on long winded there. I just can't believe the picture these are capable now and look forward to bigger and more choices.

Considering giant TVs used to cost even more for far less specs, I welcome our new moderately rich TV overlords. Once they start releasing high refresh rate panels I'll drop a few grand on OLED.

77" and only 4k? Want 8K for that size. :)
I don't think it's big enough for 8k. Honestly, unless you're like me and you want to sit 6 or 7 feet from the screen, I don't think you'll see the difference. My dad sits 14' from his TV, and I'm not sure if I could see the resolution improvement from that distance (though Gamut and HDR would probably be visible). But it's not the set MFG's fault that people sit too far from the set.

I'm super jealous of everyone that still has Plasmas. They still may be the best overall image quality and now they stopped making them. Same deal with CRTs. I would love a new one for retro gaming purposes, the great resolution scaling and everything. But they don't make em anymore.

Still rockin my 2007 Panny Plasma. Thought I'd have oled by now. Shoulda bought the F8500 when I had the chance...

I have a plasma that refuses to die.. but I don't use it anymore.
@500w being on pretty much 24/7, I had enough. Got an led @ 165w.

Still rocking a 60" samsung plasma, thing is a beast. I agree, oled looks amazing but motion looks just amazing on plasma. Too bad they weigh so much.

Me too! Honestly, I don't want to go away from Plasma but it's starting to get kind of old. Fan noise and all. Have to probably work on it or give it up soon ;|

OLED is night and day better than plasma, I had a Kuro and my LG OLED tv is waaaayyyyyyyy better. OLED also doesn't have motion blur, so plasma doesn't even have that on OLED.

I'm still rocking my 50" Panasonic Plasma from 2011. Nothing special just a S30 model if I remember rightly.

Still has one of the best pictures I've seen. Definitely prefer it to my parents Samsung 4K (though granted it's never been fed native 4K content). I'm torn between keeping it until it dies, and upgrading to new. Mostly I sit so far back that game text can be hard to read so a 65" set would be great, 4K and HDR would be bonuses.

I'll bite when a 4K 65"+ HDR with very low input lag for under 2 grand is released. Just hope my plasma lasts that long.

Rocking a Panasonic ZT60, doubt i'll replace it any time soon. I am still not impressed with OLED's color reproduction.

Is this news? Haven't MOST flagship 'proof of concept' 1% TVs cost five figures?

I never understand why they bother with the 'premium' tinny sound shit on some giant TV. Anyone who can drop 20k on a tv like that sure as fuck won't just rely on the internal sound. They'll run a 20-40k+ sound system to go with it...

I never understand why they bother with the 'premium' tinny sound shit on some giant TV. Anyone who can drop 20k on a tv like that sure as fuck won't just rely on the internal sound. They'll run a 20-40k+ sound system to go with it...
Nah. I have a nice projector with a 120" screen in my media room. I'm picking this one up to watch while cooking dinner. I guess we could put in a sound system for it, but I really just want great black levels while I cook.

Nah. I have a nice projector with a 120" screen in my media room. I'm picking this one up to watch while cooking dinner. I guess we could put in a sound system for it, but I really just want great black levels while I cook.

Fair point, forgot about the projector theatre crowd :)
Most well-off people I know have a smaller screen on an adjustable mount in the kitchen. Feeling you regarding the black levels though - just adds to the reproduction fidelity. Hate dark movies on crap screens.

Sadly I just lost my Panny plasma last week due to lightning making it through somehow. Very sad since I did not plan on replacing it and 20K is to say the least beyond my budget. (n)

Sadly I just lost my Panny plasma last week due to lightning making it through somehow. Very sad since I did not plan on replacing it and 20K is to say the least beyond my budget. (n)

That's just terrible. Did you give it the proper Viking funeral that it deserved?

I'm super jealous of everyone that still has Plasmas. They still may be the best overall image quality and now they stopped making them. Same deal with CRTs. I would love a new one for retro gaming purposes, the great resolution scaling and everything. But they don't make em anymore.
A 27" widescreen CRT would weigh like 50 kg...
I'll bite when a 4K 65"+ HDR with very low input lag for under 2 grand is released. Just hope my plasma lasts that long.
Getting close. The LG B6 and C6 are down to $2.5k USD for the 55", and it's reported that input lag went under 30ms with the latest firmware.

Fair point, forgot about the projector theatre crowd :)
Most well-off people I know have a smaller screen on an adjustable mount in the kitchen. Feeling you regarding the black levels though - just adds to the reproduction fidelity. Hate dark movies on crap screens.
That's not me, but I do know people in McMansions that have 65 or 70" screens in the living room that they use the built in speakers for, though I think they can also pipe the sound into overhead speakers if they want to, but there's not much advantage to that unless there's a bunch of people in the room.

Back