LGA775 3.6 Ghz Prescott with x86-64?!

it's EMT64, Intel's version of the x86-64 extensions....

i've got pre-orders in for the processors when they appear.

dave

There are 3.2F, 3.4F and 3.6F models with EM64T. I'm going to pick up a 3.2F next month.

edit: the guy isn't correct about the availability. Those have been shipping for almost 2 months in OEM systems... the CPUs just aren't available in boxed retail packags yet.

pxc said:
There are 3.2F, 3.4F and 3.6F models with EM64T. I'm going to pick up a 3.2F next month.

edit: the guy isn't correct about the availability. Those have been shipping for almost 2 months in OEM systems... the CPUs just aren't available in boxed retail packags yet.

Yeah, I know Dell has even had them on their web sites for awhile. What isn't mentioned are the requirements for these processors. According to the Chipset Comparison Literature on Intel's website, you have to have a i925X/i925XE chipset based motherboard for an EM64T processor to work. The i915x isn't compatible.

Sir-Fragalot said:
you have to have a i925X/i925XE chipset based motherboard for an EM64T processor to work. The i915x isn't compatible.
true.dat

3rd party chipsets are probably also compatible. Intel's LGA775 lauch was a mess.

pxc said:
true.dat

3rd party chipsets are probably also compatible. Intel's LGA775 lauch was a mess.

Well Intel handled most of the launch ok. Chips and boards were available the same weekend the parts were announced. I even saw them at my local Fry's. There was also memory for the systems available from day one. Problem is, that Intel should have gotten more video card options available before the launch. That way I wouldn't have the problem I am having now. I'm still waiting on a 6800GT I ordered over two weeks ago and I got raped on the price. But I got raped for about as little as possible for those things. They are going for an insane premium.

But if third parties are smart, they will make thier chipsets EM64T compatible. However I would never use anything but an Intel chipset for an Intel based system. The possible exception of course is whatever Nvidia comes up with for SLi on the P4.

Back