LGA2011-V3 Xeon BCLK Overclock

TheLAWNoob

Limp Gawd
How far could most people go on the BCLK? The E5 2683V3 I'm getting seems to have an all core Turbo of 2.5Ghz.

I've seen people saying 105Mhz BCLK is as far as it gets. Anyone with personal experience?

Edit: corrected model number.

Last edited:
Damn that sucks. The one I'm getting is marked as retail but being sold at ES prices. I'm pretty sure it's actually a retail chip though.

Damn that sucks. The one I'm getting is marked as retail but being sold at ES prices. I'm pretty sure it's actually a retail chip though.

I think you'll have more luck with Skylake-E as skylake is really easy to BCLK OC.

I heard the v2 xeons were the most overclockable.

I think you'll have more luck with Skylake-E as skylake is really easy to BCLK OC.

I will be waiting for the Skylake-W Xeons and mobos to be affordable. But Haswell-EP will do in the meantime.

I heard the v2 xeons were the most overclockable.

Ivy is too old. The unlocked ones only goes up to 8 cores. Might as well wait for Zen.

Last edited:

I will be waiting for the Skylake-W Xeons and mobos to be affordable. But Haswell-EP will do in the meantime.

Ivy is too old. The unlocked ones only goes up to 8 cores. Might as well wait for Zen.

Don't hold your breath on Skylake-W being too overclockable. It's quite likely that they'll throttle hard when you exceed their TDP limit (which will be unavoidable if overclocked). I fear the programmed (and un-overridable) TDP limiter will be the new BCLK lock on these chips, unless the motherboard makers come up with a workaround for it.

What's your use case?

epeen, and the occasional video rendering and converting.

I will also be gaming on it, but I have a 60Hz Freesync monitor so I'm not too concerned about framerates. Besides, the 2683V3 boosts to 3.0Ghz when only a few cores are being used.

epeen, and the occasional video rendering and converting.

I will also be gaming on it, but I have a 60Hz Freesync monitor so I'm not too concerned about framerates. Besides, the 2683V3 boosts to 3.0Ghz when only a few cores are being used.
3GHz is a bit low even for boost. Why not just get a dedicated mainstream and unlocked chip?

I've gotten no more than 104 on 2679v4. MSI X99 SLI PLUS, all temps below 60C, so its not for thermal reasons.

Back