LGA2011 Compatibility

Gillbot

[H]F Junkie
I was advised that I should post here, as some may be more aware as to what may or may not work in my motherboard. Currently I have an MSI X79MA-GD45 (E7738IMS) motherboard (not my 1st choice but the price was right) and i'm looking to pair it with a lower cost CPU. I tried the Q19D route via eBay but upon arrival, the board wouldn't post, beep or do anything with this CPU installed. I had hoped that this http://www.cpubios.com/overclock-the-intel-q19d-es-processor/ would show that CPU may work, but alas nope. I tried every BIOS from 1.0 through 1.7 and nothing. I also tried the Q19D in my P9X79 which is also reported to work but alas, same result. No post, no beeps, nothing.

I know there is a flood of ES chips on ebay, but i'm hesitant to pull the trigger not knowing about compatibility. Typically, if the official version is supported then the ES usually works fine, but the Q19D threw me for a loop since it didn't work. Couple that with the vague descriptions and the "close to Xeon xx-xxxx" further adds to the hesitation.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
my dual xeon qb79(xeon 2680) and qb7s(xeon 2690). no problem using supermicro x9dri-f.

B0 works for me as its a dedicated folder - but I can't flash the bios to a more stable version (Asus Z9PE-D8S) without breaking cpu compatibility. Its going to make for an interesting upgrade process to ivy-e. However B1 is a total disaster and support was pulled early

Of note... Intel ES chips do not have unlocked multi's
You can play with the turbo settings in the bios to your hearts content... but you will not change its clock at all...

I don't care about OC much really, I just want to get it working on the MSI board.

I don't care about OC much really, I just want to get it working on the MSI board.

Then QBxx chips will do that.

Yeah... you really don't need to overclock the octos.
I get 12.4 in cinebench with a stock E5-2680.

B0 works for me as its a dedicated folder - but I can't flash the bios to a more stable version (Asus Z9PE-D8S) without breaking cpu compatibility. Its going to make for an interesting upgrade process to ivy-e. However B1 is a total disaster and support was pulled early

Agreed. Generally speaking, B0 chips are not too bad, provided that you find the right board & BIOS. As for B1/B2 chips, most of them couldn't boot on any dual-socket board so they are more useless for FAH. However, if you only want to play with single-socket X79 boards, B1/B2 chips would also be an option (with tested boards).

Not in one place there isn't, it took me a while to get the xeon list together, a list of what mobo's and bios work with each CPU would take a lot of work.

If you let me know what cpu's you are looking at I can help to try and find mobo's but i'm in the UK so there is a time lag to consider.

I'm open to anything. I was hoping a Q19D would work as stated in the OP but it didn't unfortunately. I'm looking for the next great value chip preferably 6 or 8 core, but I guess for a great price I could settle on a 4 core.

I'm just thinking that with the price of the 3820 at around $200 (Microcenter or FS/FT), for me to get a 4 core, it would have to be pretty darn cheap to settle with a neutered ES. Same goes for the 6 cores when the 3930k is coming in at $400 or less in FS/FT.

like was said before, the B0 chips are hit and miss on bios/board support, the QAxx chips are going to be B0/B1.

i'd suggest the QB7Z of the three

Ok, so I still have this Q19D here and i've tried it in 3 motherboards which were reported to work. An MSI (which I have since sold), an Asrock Extreme6 i'm trying now and my P9X79 and no matter what BIOS I put on it I can't get this damn thing to POST or do anything...... Any suggestions?

So far on the Asrock i've tried the following BIOS versions:
1.11C
1.52L
1.91L
1.91N

These were pretty much all I could find online to try.

If you have tried that many boards and BIOS's already without any luck I would suggest cutting your losses and give up on the chip.

Otherwise you are going to have to try and find an early beta bios - in other words some lower than what was initially shipped with the mobo e.g my Z9 launched with 3.11 so I would have to try and find some thing earlier than that (not easy to do at all)

If you have tried that many boards and BIOS's already without any luck I would suggest cutting your losses and give up on the chip.

Otherwise you are going to have to try and find an early beta bios - in other words some lower than what was initially shipped with the mobo e.g my Z9 launched with 3.11 so I would have to try and find some thing earlier than that (not easy to do at all)

That's pretty much where i'm at. Either track down a known working mobo, hope a bios modder can add the code to my existing bios or just toss the chip in the trash.

Is it possible that you have got a bad chip?

That's pretty much where i'm at. Either track down a known working mobo, hope a bios modder can add the code to my existing bios or just toss the chip in the trash.

Entirely, but without having a known working board I can't say for certain.

Ok, so I still have this Q19D here and i've tried it in 3 motherboards which were reported to work. An MSI (which I have since sold), an Asrock Extreme6 i'm trying now and my P9X79 and no matter what BIOS I put on it I can't get this damn thing to POST or do anything...... Any suggestions?

Heck- I was going to suggest the Extreme6, that's what I finally got my QA92 working in...

Back