• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LGA1366 Mobo Recommendations please

KOKJ

n00b
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
29
I'm going to be building a system for my father. He doesn't need a board with all the bells and whistles. I want a board that's going to let me fine-tune his RAM and processor settings, but will be reliable.

Any recommendations? This will be strictly for using a new Intel i7 processor.

Thanks
 
yes, all x58 boards are pretty much the same, only difference is in features. You can probably buy ecs x58 and still do just fine. I'm on biostar and can't complain, it has 12 phases, sli capable, 6 memory slots, and it's rock stable with my 920 @ 4ghz @ 1.31vcore
 
If you don't need massive overclocking they're all pretty similar, just get the one with the features you want with a good price. If you want epic overclocking get the EVGA or go home so far.
 
Yea, I won't be overclocking it or anything. In my experience, when you start messing with something is when it starts having problems. I will pull a Ronco on this setup: Set it and forget it! So I want one that's reliable and a performer.
 
As far as I've seen its pretty much take your pick then, the x58 is a "high end" chipset so there really aren't any junk boards based on it. Aside from the EVGA being a better clocker by a long shot than anything else I haven't seen any real duds come out. I have seen some bad clocks on the MSI, and I'm not a big MSI fan anyways, so fwiw you might avoid them. Bad clocks are kinda subjective, it still hits 4ghz, but being poor comparatively may be a sign that it's not so well built.
 
If you don't need massive overclocking they're all pretty similar, just get the one with the features you want with a good price. If you want epic overclocking get the EVGA or go home so far.

I don't know about that. The Gigabyte UD5/EX58-Extreme, Foxconn Bloodrage, Asus P6T/ROG II, and DFI X58 are more popular over at xtremesystems than the eVGA board. I've been logging on to the eVGA forums quite a bit the last few weeks and I'd say the overclocks people are getting are just on average with all the other X58 boards. There's just a lot of people buying the eVGA X58 board due to the name, lifetime warranty and support with a 90 day step up program. When you have a lot of people using the same board you will get more high overclocks reported because high overclocks will mostly be related to luck of the draw with the i7 stepping you get.

I'm running the eVGA X58 board at the moment in my system and it seems to be a real solid board. I kind of believe part of it's overclockability though stems from the fact it seems to be overvolting the CPU from what's set in the BIOS though. At least according to CPU-Z it reads my vCore at around .05v higher than what I have set in the BIOS. So if I set it to 1.35v it will read around 1.4v under load. I haven't measured with a DMM though to see what the vcore test point reads. The eVGA board is also only an 8 phase power design whereas some of the other boards are 12 and 16.
 
Yea, I won't be overclocking it or anything. In my experience, when you start messing with something is when it starts having problems. I will pull a Ronco on this setup: Set it and forget it! So I want one that's reliable and a performer.
If you're not going to overclock and just want a great, stable i7 system, then the Asus P6T (vanilla) should be a great pick, at a very very reasonable price.

If you want extreme performance and overclocking, get the EVGA x58 Classified that is due to be released mid-feb. This one should beat all other x58 boards out there. The current EVGA x58 is just in between the other x58 boards, nothing special. And I still don't get why the Rampage II is still so highly priced, because there's nothing special about that board either.
 
If you want extreme performance and overclocking, get the EVGA x58 Classified that is due to be released mid-feb. This one should beat all other x58 boards out there..

the only thing classified offer will be the tri-sli, other than that pretty much all x58 clk about same unless u go LN2/dry ice then evga might be better. OC really depend on CPU more than mobo
 
EVGA here and I like it.

If I wanted top overclocking today I'd go with the DFI. I went EVGA for a good price and if I regret not going "extreme" I can step up to the Classified board.

Also if you MUST have a properly functioning sleep and resume at high overclocks do your homework...
 
I just picked up the msi x58 Plat - 222 bucks ~most of the bells and whistles (no nvidia sli I think but does support crossfire).
 
I just picked up the msi x58 Plat - 222 bucks ~most of the bells and whistles (no nvidia sli I think but does support crossfire).

I know there are people flash x58 plat with x58 plat SLI BIOS to get SLI support.
 
i'm going to be going with an Asus P6T (vanilla) personally for my build, i have always had great experiences with their boards. even after years and years the computers i built with those boards are still going strong, where as MSI and Gigabyte have worked great at first but eventually each one I have used in a computer has failed. maybe just bad luck for me, but i've decided to just stick with Asus now. Abit was great for me too, shame they aren't around anymore
 
Back
Top