LGA 775 P4 3.0E heating problem/question

Discussion in 'Intel Processors' started by Juic3, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Juic3

Juic3 [H]ard|Gawd

Hi, Im having this problem with a new P4 3.0E on LGA 775, on IDLE the temps is in the mid 50´s and on LOAD its on 68-71 ........... is this normal on STOCK INTEL PARTS ?

2. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

What motherboard are you using? That makes a difference. But the temperature on Prescott CPU's is pretty high generally speaking.

3. Juic3

Juic3 [H]ard|Gawd

Its an INTEL 915PSY, buuuuttt moving on I think I just fried the processor :mad: so how can I really tell if thats what I did ?

Im saying for sure I did because I tried putting on some thermal paste on it and then when I turned the PC on the temperature was on the NINETIES 90s, so Im pretty much screwed, after that I tried turning it on and it seemed to power up, FANS working but no activity whatsoever on everything else, like Hard Drive, no signal to Monitor, etc.....

COuld you please tell me if I fried the Processor or could the damage go beyond that ? The motherboard does power up.

Please help I needed this Pc for yesterday :mad:

Id appreciate any help.

4. cbachor

cbachor n00b

what tempature scale are we talking about, F or C?

5. Juic3

Juic3 [H]ard|Gawd

lol Celsius btw :( I hope only the CPU got fried, the motherboard lights and LAN turn on just fine, no monitor activity too, Can the socket be damaged for good too ?

6. BigTaf

BigTaf Gawd

reset the cmos

and pull out and reseat the cpu, cpu is probably fine, if you use too much thermal paste it acts as an insulator. So get some rubbing alchol, clean off the old paste, wait 5min apply new paste and the layer of paste should be paper thin. Or if its decent thermal paste(artic silver) they reccomend placing a dab in the middle of the cpu and then placing the heatsink on.

7. JoeBoomz

JoeBoomz n00b

Yeah, that'd be normal for Prescott. You could probably up the airflow in your case to help a bit but overall the CPU itself not only throws a lot of heat, but the motherboard components will as well.

8. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Mines in the 50's generally. I'm using the stock cooler and it's overclocked just slightly. My case and room are well cooled as well.

9. Juic3

Juic3 [H]ard|Gawd

Ill try this im crossing my fingers lol, it is weird how it can reach that high of a temperature and I still couldnt feel it when I put my hand near the CPU and Heatsink, not hot all. Also Im wondering if there was supposed to be smoke ? Just wondering :confused:

10. EnderW

EnderW [H]ardForum Junkie

there is NEVER supposed to be smoke

and I think P4s will shut down if they get too hot, to protect themselves

if you want to lower your temps, slap a Zalman 7700 Al-Cu with some AS5 on there and make sure you have good cooling throughout your case

11. Seer

Seer Limp Gawd

The Prescott core is normally hot. Thats what happens when Intel or whoever pumps thier chips up. Even the Prescott Celeron is hot and NOISY! But mind you with 4 revisions the Prescott Celeron is pretty much an early P4 by todays standards. Definiatly up the airflow in your case, or if your finanacial boundries allow it, go to water cooling. I think intel needs to be a little more innovative with their chips, no just upping the speed, cause if they keep this up there is gonna be a mass recall, due to "overheating" issues. Or just stock the P4 with a huge ass Zalman processer fan...... ;)

12. Juic3

Juic3 [H]ard|Gawd

Well no such luck with CMOS resetting and CPU HSF reseating, same thing, it powers up but no monitor signal or hard drive actions.......The LAN and motherboard lights do work and the Video Card Fan is moving.

If the motherboard got damaged too would it still power up ? OR does the socket fry only ? I know it doesnt power up without the CPU so thats why Im guessin its all a CPU problem and HOPEFULLY Ill just have to shell out another 244$ for it, this hurts so bad, but it would hurt worse if it meant a new motherboard too.

Well Seer I sure do hope so myself, I know Im not buying Intel from here till they kill Prescott(Well with this exception lol, I still need this PC), I always went for Intel cause of their "normal" temperatures thats what kept me away from AMD until now I guess.

13. Seer

Seer Limp Gawd

also, maybe check the electrical componets on your board for damage(ie. buldgeing capacitors), and underneth the board for heat or burn marks. I had a buddy who i recently replaced the board cause it had capacitors leaking and buldging. If you are electrically inclined and nimble with a soldering iron then maybe replace damaged capacitors if thats the case

14. Juic3

Juic3 [H]ard|Gawd

Nope it seems all fine, Im pretty sure the CPU is dead, just not sure about the mobo. Looks fine and sounds fine too, should it still power up if the socket is fried ? I wouldnt think so but I dunno.,

15. TehQuick

TehQuick 2[H]4U

16. Juic3

Juic3 [H]ard|Gawd

Well it seems to be working now, problem was a twisted socket pin it seems, its working with these temperatures:

47-50s Celsius on IDLE and 60-70 on LOAD.... which Im seeing is normal Prescott crap :(