LGA 2066 cpu coolers?

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
This is a brand new socket correct? Are there many new coolers that fit on this socket? Do the old 2011 coolers work on this new socket? Was just wondering since if i built new today i be shit out of luck using my existing cooler? I would love to use one of those reeven justice models H reviewed months ago.

The heatsink mount is physically compatible with coolers designed for LGA 2011. However, it's still a good idea to verify compatibility with your motherboard e.g. in terms of PCI-e slot clearance and with the TDP of the processor since for some models it's higher than it was for LGA 2011.

The heatsink mount is physically compatible with coolers designed for LGA 2011. However, it's still a good idea to verify compatibility with your motherboard e.g. in terms of PCI-e slot clearance and with the TDP of the processor since for some models it's higher than it was for LGA 2011.
Thank you for that information.....I had NO idea about that. And wow you have some appealing hardware there....course i would probably get a more affordable cpu to start and eventually move to something like you have as prices and deals come around over time. I never could understand people build with motherboards that cant work with the top end cpus!

What sonyman said.
Skylake-X/Kabylake-X are at least 112-120 TDP with most being 140-165 TDP, meaning a upper mid-level to top tier cooling is a very good idea.

thanks guys how about some personal suggestions for that future cooler. The only thing that makes me reluctant to AIO water cooling is the possibility of down time if something failed like the pump. I like the idea of a max 120mm size heat sink since my next build would be in mid size case at the most since i travel so much. I dont recall [H] reviewing a better air cooler than the https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/07/18/reeven_justice_120mm_cpu_air_cooler_review/. Give me your ideas if you have them!

Personally, I'm a big Noctua fan. If you're not looking for a significant (or any) overclock, and custom water-cooling is not in the picture, the Noctua NH-D15 (and its predecessor, the NH-D14, which I personally use) is an excellent albeit pricey option, coming in at near $100. You'd be surprised how much heatsink can be stuffed into a case. There can be issues with compatibility due to its size, especially with RAM with tall heatsinks, but Noctua's website has all pertinent information. It performs better than many AIO closed-loop solutions, especially as it pertains to noise levels. Noctua has other options as well with different trade-offs in terms of compatibility and cooling performance.

well im going to need a typical elevated over clock to be content. (at least the normal sweet spot) kinda like with my current setup 4.2 is doable for 90% of setups. I wont rule out water cooling since i can keep a backup air cooler in my small parts bin i travel with. This [H] review does almost make it seem required for today's over clocks! https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/11/10/reeven_naia_240_allinone_liquid_cpu_cooler_review
15090722440gbdqzksns_3_2.png

That or a similar AIO might be a good option for you as long as you have a case with the proper mounting location for the radiator. If you're traveling with your desktop, something like the NH-D15 I mentioned above might not be best since Noctua advises removing the heatsink during transport due to its weight which may be an annoyance if you follow their guidance. For overclocking you'll definitely want top-tier cooling along the lines of doyll's advice.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There are plenty of cases with full 5.25" or slim drive bays which have both a radiator mount and a sleek aesthetic, although my own personal experience is rather limited. The case you linked is rather nice looking, supports a 360mm radiator, and is inexpensive, but I'd consider other options if having an optical drive is that important to you. An external drive is one more thing to carry and keep track of. Also, if you're at all like me, the case may outlast your other components. My current case has served me well for three computer builds and will likely continue to do so when I move to my next build, since I have no use for more than one computer at present.

There are plenty of cases with full 5.25" or slim drive bays which have both a radiator mount and a sleek aesthetic, although my own personal experience is rather limited. The case you linked is rather nice looking, supports a 360mm radiator, and is inexpensive, but I'd consider other options if having an optical drive is that important to you. An external drive is one more thing to carry and keep track of. Also, if you're at all like me, the case may outlast your other components. My current case has served me well for three computer builds and will likely continue to do so when I move to my next build, since I have no use for more than one computer at present.
You know if i marked down how many times i used the optical drive over the last year then it actually makes decent sense to plan to go external for the next build...its not like usb will bottleneck it in any way. I did notice the
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M would does as you described with 5.25 drives...
11-854-019-01.jpg

of course it would limit what kind of top rads could be used if the optical was installed....and we dont want that lol. Either way its time i retire my ancient antec 900!

Back