• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LGA 2011 Low profile cooler?

Kainzo

Gawd
Joined
Nov 12, 2009
Messages
972
I bought a 4U Chassis and a LGA 2011 socket cooler. Unfortunately it seems that the cooler is too large for the case / motherboard.

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131805

Cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709013

Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129049


Entire Parts:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15060314


What do you guys think? is there a low profile (or smaller) cooler that may fit my motherboard/case? also the way the cooler is at the moment, the bottom fan sits on the ram due to the ram's heatsinks - I think I can rip off the heat sinks on the ram but would prefer not to...
 
Low profile and LGA 2011 really don't go together, due to the banks of memory being on both sides of the CPU.
 
I've already dropped $3100 on this new server machine.

The case is 4U - so a lot of wiggle room isn't there - phyically this won't work as is without something changing. I cannot get a refund on the CPU (nor do I want one) and its a must that I use a 4U case as the hosting company requires 2-4U.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to resolve this issue so I can finish setting up this beast of a machine and ship it out?
Would the best bet be a water cooled CPU block?
 
Swap out the RAM for the Samsung 30nm ones. Those are much lower than your average RAM, and does not use tall heatsinks.

If you still can't get it to work, consider getting something like the H60.
 
I ran into a similar problem where it seemed that any 2011 hsf was at least a couple mm too high for 4u. Ended up fitting a corsair h60 rad in the case as it was the only thing I could find that would clear the top.
 
I bought a Supermicro 4U chassis with a 3930K and a Zalman CNPS11X Performa cooler, it barely fit in the case (pretty much touch the side panel, but it does fit, and it dosen't cover the ram, they are all accessible without removing the cooler.

If that one dosen't fit you might need to go watercool but I didint want to.
 
If you're able to get the Samsung RAM I mentioned, I can almost guarantee you won't have any problems with RAM clearance.
 
Yeah... my only issue is - I'll have to resend the ram back to newegg and then wait for more to come in - it's such a pain =/
 
Back
Top