LGA 1155 and 2011 details.

They don't care. I've been frequenting this site for many many years. Those of us who have are driven by pushing the envelope. Money be damned. Its our hobby.

Now, we have people fucking bitching about advances in hardware.

These people need to get a damn grip, understand where you are , and shut their damn mouths. I for one can't wait for a new socket and a new architecture. Bring it on.

I make blood money, what do you think about that? :D

If wishing for backwards compatibility makes me wrong, then I don't wnat to be right. Being badass and being sensible is not a mutually exclusive endeavour

Uh, that's very, very, very incorrect. 1155 is priced pretty much exactly the same as 1156 is right now. I work at a Fry's, we've been able to see prices for the boards & procs for awhile now. The most expensive 1155 you can get is the i7 2600K for like $320 - a whole $20 more than an i7 950. And the boards are between $129 and $179, where all X58 boards are $209+. Plus you can get an i5 2400K for $200 instead of the i7 if you want.

Like wise, would you care to drop the prices on some boards? Are any of the Gigabyte UD4/5/7 series in your system? Or the Asus Sabertooth P67?

Stupid question about the Gigabyte boards: UD3, UD3R, UD3P.

So the P and R versions add 12 phase power. Does that matter at all for overclocking 'K' series processors? (Assuming I stay within the 1.4V specified by Intel)

It seems this time around we might as well get the cheapest boards, unless I'm overlooking something.

The VR-Zone article has some good info on the stock cooler.
I think it was mentioned that current 1156 coolers will be compatible with the new 1155 socket?

That is correct. Or, at least Thermalright has confirmed that their 1156 bolt-thru kit will work on 1155.

These don't seem to be great prices...

I think list on the 2600K was listed by Intel at $317, so at least that one seems about right. I think it was about $215 for the 2500K. The spec/price sheet is posted in another thread here somewhere.

Like wise, would you care to drop the prices on some boards? Are any of the Gigabyte UD4/5/7 series in your system? Or the Asus Sabertooth P67?
Boards range between $130 (the MSI P67-C45) to $190 (MSI P67-C65), off the top of my head. Sorry, we have a bunch of boards in the system now, and I didn't memorize which ones we have. (Typically though, UD7 boards are special order status only anyway). I really only know the range of the prices and the MSI board prices (since we have them in stock already).

Fun fact: we haven't been prohibited from selling these boards, so if you want one early, you can get one.

We typically sell our processors for bone-dry margin. I can't insert the PLUs into a quote to check their markup yet (since they have an enforced street date), but just based on the fact that processors are usually only a dollar or four on margin I'm imagining this is pretty close to volume price.

Keep in mind the 2400 is the equivalent part to the i5 760 which is also ~$200.

That seems like pretty awesome prices actually since its a whole new generation for basically the same price as an i5 750/760 for the first two and an i7-950 for the last one.

Thanks for the info Garby! I'm on the east coast so no Fry's for me! Just trying to get an idea of the hit my wallet is going to take in a few weeks :p

$220 I5 2500K for 4 core 3.3GHz 6mb cache or $320 I7 2600K for 3.4GHz 8 MB cache and hyperthreading 4 core 8 thread, both can turbo boost up another 400 MHz and both have an unlocked multiplier. Giving you the option to save $100 if hyperthreading, 2 MB cache and 100 MHz isn't important. These are good prices for Intel and before the I5 655K and I7 875K you had to pay $999 for an unlocked multiplier

The prices are great news. Looks like I am going with a 2600k after all since it's only $20 more.

and Fry's usually has good combo cpu/mb deals that bounces between Intel and AMD that might come out when they launch.... just hoping

Yeah, this is par for the course anymore.

I say Kyle creates a separate site, and call it, [F]laccidOCP. Where all of the fucking pussies can go talk about power consumption, socket travesty and alike.

+1. That was hilarious.

And some of you need to keep your Fascist comments to yourselves. Not all of us think throwing money into a bottomless pit and calling it a "hobby" is a viable way to keep up with technology. Especially when the interval between 1156 and 1155 is less than 18 months. If you don't like reading about some people complaining about new sockets/motherboards being introduced before they finish reading the spec sheets for the one that was just introduced, don't read it.

And better yet, don't fight bitching with bitching.

Last edited:
Back