LGA 1151 MB recommendation

magic8192

n00b
This is simply a gaming PC. Looking for a solid no no nonsense motherboard that I can setup and overclock without any hassle. My 7970/2500k setup seems dated and I have the urge to upgrade.

Most Likely components:
i7 6700k w/EVO hyper 212 with Nidec TA450 fan
Mid tower case Older Sentey (already have)
850 EVO SSD probably 500 GB
GTX 980 Ti once the great price drop of 2016 occurs
Seasonic 650 Watt (Already have)
16GB DDR4

1. SUPERMICRO SuperO MBD-C7Z170-SQ -Seems like a workstation level board at consumer prices
  2. ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming i7 -Lot of features and there are some good deals for this board
  3. MSI Z170A SLI PLUS -No frills basic board that seems like it will get the job done for a gaming rig
Leaning towards the MSI board because it has a good price point and has the features I want.

I've said before, not sure if others share the same opinion or had the same issues, but MSI the last few years was disappointing for me. They've used to have really good ones until something changed and start coming with bios issues, power...
For me, either ASUS or ASRock, both very reliable brands, the later makes the list because in many occasions you can find great boards with amazing pricing.

I am going to get the SUPERMICRO SuperO MBD-C7Z170-SQ seems that with the latest bios they have the XMP memory issues sorted out. It seems like this might a good basic solid board for a long time.

I've said before, not sure if others share the same opinion or had the same issues, but MSI the last few years was disappointing for me. They've used to have really good ones until something changed and start coming with bios issues, power...
For me, either ASUS or ASRock, both very reliable brands, the later makes the list because in many occasions you can find great boards with amazing pricing.
Which is funny because ASUS is a brand i'll never touch again and I tend to go out of my way to snag a MSI. I've got their ITX Z170 motherboard, great little thing, no issues at all.

that's funny, i also have turned into MSi fanboy. Had good luck with laptop, vid card, and motherboard. Probably buy another gaming motherboard from MSI in November

Back